04 Es330 Mileage Of 15~16mpg

zhungty

I am in Vancouver. My 04 ES330 run with 87 gasoline, the mileage is only 15~16mpg when travelling in town. I thought it was too low, is not it? What may be the possible reasons?

Hello, That sounds low, I have a 04 and I get around 19-20 if my wife drives and around 20 -22 when I drive. I use 89 octane, BP or mobil gas. Whats the mileage on the car, hows it running, could be a simple tune up, vacuum leak, bad gas, etc. More info on the car will help. Highway driving I get around 26-28 m.p.g.

Tim

I am in Vancouver. My 04 ES330 run with 87 gasoline, the mileage is only 15~16mpg when travelling in town. I thought it was too low, is not it? What may be the possible reasons?

Not sure the possible reasons but I get 20 city and 25 highway mpg - usually avg about 23 per tank.

Hello, That sounds low, I have a 04 and I get around 19-20 if my wife drives and around 20 -22 when I drive. I use 89 octane, BP or mobil gas. Whats the mileage on the car, hows it running, could be a simple tune up, vacuum leak, bad gas, etc. More info on the car will help. Highway driving I get around 26-28 m.p.g.

Tim

Thanks. My ES330 is now 55k miles. Running with Esso 87 gasoline. Before that I used 89 gasoline which makes no difference. Sounds everything is ok. I checked the air filter this morning, it sounds ok too. But do not know why, should I bring it to a dealer or somewhere else?

Tim

Thanks. My ES330 is now 55k miles. Running with Esso 87 gasoline. Before that I used 89 gasoline which makes no difference. Sounds everything is ok. I checked the air filter this morning, it sounds ok too. But do not know why, should I bring it to a dealer or somewhere else?

Yeah it's build up of junk from using regular gas so I am not surprised. Get a tune up, all filters changed and maybe some injector and fuel system cleaner. Then ONLY get you some premium fuel. I like Shell V-Power that cleans junk everytime you fill up your tank.

Try running premium for a few tanks and see if that helps.

I don't buy the "buildup of junk from regular gas" theory personally. The car can run regular gas, just with reduced performance.

How do you drive, heavy foot? Lots of short trips?

Try running premium for a few tanks and see if that helps.

I don't buy the "buildup of junk from regular gas" theory personally. The car can run regular gas, just with reduced performance.

How do you drive, heavy foot? Lots of short trips?

A good idea. Thanks.

I do have a lots of short trips. Plus the situation in Vancouver does have many signal lights, one every 300 meters, some times you have to stop at each lights. My driving habit is reasonable, as I care the mileage.

I drove Toyota Camry several years ago, when I swiched the gasoline from 91 to 87, the mileage increased. This is why I just switched ES330 from 89 to 87.

Lowering the octane isn't going to improve mileage, its going to be the other way around.

My guess is the culprit is low octane gas and short trips.

Believe it or not, but on some cars, lowering the octane can improve gas mileage. And I've had it happen on several Mercedes. Just try to stay away from anything with ethanol in it.

• 1 month later...
Anyway, I will try premium gasoline and to see if it will improve or not.

Thanks for your ideas.

Just let you guys know what happens to my 2004ES330. I have switched to Premium Gas since Dec.1 2009. The mileage was improved, but a little little bit. It was improved to 16-17MPG. Sounds....

What is your idea about it?

Thanks.

Before you noticed this, what did you use to get as far as mileage is concerned? Are all your tire pressures correct? Do you carry much extra weight in the trunk of your ES? I am averaging 9.7L per 100 Km's on my 2005 ES 330 or 29.12 MPG (UK) or 24.2 MPG (US) with a mix of 30% city & 70% highway driving the last 6 tanks of gas (and according to the cars fuel economy calculator on the dash that I think your 2004 is equipped with as well)....using Sunoco regular (87 octane) & I currently am running 4 winter tires.

The 2004 - 2006 ES models call for regular fuel...not premium fuel (the 2002 - 2003 ES 300's did however).

Something is not right...but it also might be as simple as 'adjusting your foot' as another member mentioned above...works wonders.

:cheers:

Before you noticed this, what did you use to get as far as mileage is concerned? Are all your tire pressures correct? Do you carry much extra weight in the trunk of your ES? I am averaging 9.7L per 100 Km's on my 2005 ES 330 or 29.12 MPG (UK) or 24.2 MPG (US) with a mix of 30% city & 70% highway driving the last 6 tanks of gas (and according to the cars fuel economy calculator on the dash that I think your 2004 is equipped with as well)....using Sunoco regular (87 octane) & I currently am running 4 winter tires.

The 2004 - 2006 ES models call for regular fuel...not premium fuel (the 2002 - 2003 ES 300's did however).

Something is not right...but it also might be as simple as 'adjusting your foot' as another member mentioned above...works wonders.

Well, thanks first.

I bought this used ES330 last July. I noticed the mileage after a while by using regular unleaded. I checked the engine air filter, and changed engine oil with Mobile 1 5W30. No extra weight and empty trunk. I pumped my tires even a little bit higher than required to get better mileage(up to 23~24kpa). And then switched to premium gas. But nothing made it better. I drive in local city 100% with a lot of uphills and downhills, and a lot of short trips (2~5 miles) .

Is there some one with the similar situation?

Well, thanks first.

I bought this used ES330 last July. I noticed the mileage after a while by using regular unleaded. I checked the engine air filter, and changed engine oil with Mobile 1 5W30. No extra weight and empty trunk. I pumped my tires even a little bit higher than required to get better mileage(up to 23~24kpa). And then switched to premium gas. But nothing made it better. I drive in local city 100% with a lot of uphills and downhills, and a lot of short trips (2~5 miles) .

Can you translate the 23-24 kps into PSI for me (I keep all tires at 33 PSI)? I use nothing but synthetic fluids as well...Amsoil 0W 30 for oil. 100% city driving might give you your answer...and I will refer back to adjusting your foot to help increase that...although it will only be slightly. Don't waste your money on premium fuel....our ES's can run & is recommended to use regular 87 octane.

The only two other items I would consider would be new spark plugs (considering it's an 04 & probably the originals) & a PCV valve change...in addition to you changing the air filter.

Just curious, what tires are you driving on?

Well, thanks first.

Can you translate the 23-24 kps into PSI for me (I keep all tires at 33 PSI)? I use nothing but synthetic fluids as well...Amsoil 0W 30 for oil. 100% city driving might give you your answer...and I will refer back to adjusting your foot to help increase that...although it will only be slightly. Don't waste your money on premium fuel....our ES's can run & is recommended to use regular 87 octane.

The only two other items I would consider would be new spark plugs (considering it's an 04 & probably the originals) & a PCV valve change...in addition to you changing the air filter.

Just curious, what tires are you driving on?

Well, thank you again.

Sorry I mistyped the tire pressure. It is 230~240 kpa, i.e. 33.35~34.8 PSI. The rating tire pressure should be 200kpa (29 PSI). My tires are Goodyear's.

Regarding the spark plugs, l remembered that when I went to Lexus Dealership to buy spark plugs, they told me it was not necessary to replace the spark plug then by saying that I was only on the half way to change the spark plug. They are supposed to be replaced at 12000miles. On the other side, I do not think that the spark plugs may affect the fuel economy as long as they spark at right time.

That would be a good idea to change PCV, in addition to air filter.

Btw, I really use very soft foot as I noticed I started up slower than many others before traffic lights.

Cheers.

Well, thank you again.

Sorry I mistyped the tire pressure. It is 230~240 kpa, i.e. 33.35~34.8 PSI. The rating tire pressure should be 200kpa (29 PSI). My tires are Goodyear's.

Regarding the spark plugs, l remembered that when I went to Lexus Dealership to buy spark plugs, they told me it was not necessary to replace the spark plug then by saying that I was only on the half way to change the spark plug. They are supposed to be replaced at 12000miles. On the other side, I do not think that the spark plugs may affect the fuel economy as long as they spark at right time.

That would be a good idea to change PCV, in addition to air filter.

Btw, I really use very soft foot as I noticed I started up slower than many others before traffic lights.

Cheers.

The 100% city driving as SW & I have mentioned is the killer here imo (and I agree all things considered that is decent mileage)...regarding the sparkplugs...they have been in the car for 6+ years now, regardless of mileage (in our case Km's)...might be something you want to consider in the future....and the PCV valve is dirt cheap & a plug & play item.

if you drive mostly in stop and go traffic then such low mpg's are not surprise. remember when you are at a stop light you are getting 0 mpg.

Thank you guys for your contributions.

I will change the PCV valve soon, and Spark Plugs later.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey im from Chicago and i get those numbers all day long 15-16 and i use 87 shell only