? On Milage When Replacing Instrument Cluster

I just have a quick question about replacing the instrument cluster. Does the new cluster mileage become your new mileage? Or does it reset? How does that work?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

If a new odometer can not be set or "flashed" to the car's true mileage, a sticker showing the mileage at which the odometer was replaced should be attached to the driver's side door post.

As far as I know, a new mechanical odometer for a 90-92 LS400 can not be set to the car's true mileage. New odometers for LS cars beginning with the 1993 model year can be "flashed" with the correct mileage but often a door jam sticker is used instead.

Failure of mechanical odometers on the 90-92 LS400 is common. The original odometer in the 90 LS I used to have failed at around 120,000 miles -- don't remember the exact mileage. The installer of the new odometer placed a sticker on the car's door jam showing the mileage at which the odometer was replaced. I think the sticker is required by either state or federal law.

• 3 months later...
I just have a quick question about replacing the instrument cluster. Does the new cluster mileage become your new mileage? Or does it reset? How does that work?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Just had the instrument cluster repaired on my 1999 LS 400. Dealer quoted a price of $1755 plus two hours labor. I had the dealer remove the cluster, overnight it to BBA Remanufacturing in Taunton, MA. This company

charged me $175 + shipping back to the dealer. Dealer installed repaired cluster. Counting a three-day car rental, mail charges, the take out/reinstallation charges at the dealer and the $175 repair, I figure I saved myself

over $1000 compared what the dealer was originally planning to charge me.