The Plastic Covers Under My Rx 330

lexus114

As the title say`s,I am planning on doing a few drain/fills on the trans. and on this 2nd generation RX,it has plastic covers beyond just the front one (oil filter location). Now every time I drop the trans fluid,I have to take down the cover (I know their is a hole their) But it just lets the fluid go every where.My 2001 RX only had a cover under where the oil filter is,(so much nicer that way) so drain and fills took 10 minutes. I know Mercedes-Benz uses these covers and they claim it keeps the air flow directed through the radiator better (or something) less loss of flow under the vehicle or what ever.I already removed that stupid cover in the engine compartment that covers where you check the power steering fluid.And guess what? the fluid was low! No tech ever bothered to remove it to check the fluid! (So you guy`s may want to check out your`s) I am seriously considering removing the covers from the initial one under where the oil filter is (I would still use that one) to where it goes under the vehicle.What do you all think? bad idea??

I admit that the underbody covers are a hassle when you need to perform maintenance underneath the vehicle. However, they help to keep the engine bay much cleaner over time and they also prevent most road debris from kicking up and causing damage to the components on the underside of the vehicle. I recommend that you leave them in place.

Just do what I did to my wife's 2004 RX330 to make transmission fluid drain-and-fills much easier and faster. Cut a 3-inch diameter hole in the underbody cover directly underneath the transmission pan drain plug. I used my electric jigsaw and made the cut on the underbody cover without even removing it from the vehicle. The hole you create will allow you enough room to get your socket wrench to the drain plug as well as enough clearance to allow the old fluid to drain into your catch bucket without making a mess. Now my transmission fluid drain-and-fills (every 30,000 miles for our RX) are easy and take no more than 30 minutes with most of that time being allocated to allowing the old fluid to drain as much as possible....

I admit that the underbody covers are a hassle when you need to perform maintenance underneath the vehicle. However, they help to keep the engine bay much cleaner over time and they also prevent most road debris from kicking up and causing damage to the components on the underside of the vehicle. I recommend that you leave them in place.

Just do what I did to my wife's 2004 RX330 to make transmission fluid drain-and-fills much easier and faster. Cut a 3-inch diameter hole in the underbody cover directly underneath the transmission pan drain plug. I used my electric jigsaw and made the cut on the underbody cover without even removing it from the vehicle. The hole you create will allow you enough room to get your socket wrench to the drain plug as well as enough clearance to allow the old fluid to drain into your catch bucket without making a mess. Now my transmission fluid drain-and-fills (every 30,000 miles for our RX) are easy and take no more than 30 minutes with most of that time being allocated to allowing the old fluid to drain as much as possible....

Thanx NC,I have thought of doing what you suggested.The only part I`m not understanding is why didnt they use these on the early models? Better engineering I suppose right? BTW,did you drop your transmission pan yet? I`m curious as to what filter is in their metal or paper.