'94 Ls Suspension Renewal

toytrain

My '94 LS has passed 200k miles and the suspension is just about gone - its the old strut/coil system (not air). It bottoms out on big bumps and sways/leans alot when cornering. Add'lly there is frequent clicking and clunking sounds. Just a real feeling of being loose.

Of course we love our old car and its still a beautiful machine after all these years. We want to keep it going for a few more years. Just about everything else has been replaced/fixed over time including all the usual malfunctions --dash lights, ps steering pump leak wiping out the alternator, steering rack leak/replace, water pump, crankshaft sensor failure, brake pressure activating reverse light on dash (easy fix thanks to advise on LOA), and many other little anomalies. Incidently, the replacement rack is looser than the original and I wouldn't recommend replace on this unless absolutely necessary!

But like I said we really want to keep this thing going but I do miss how it used to drive/ride/handle. I know though that it never will really be the same.

My question is what all should I be looking to replace in the suspension? I figure all 4 coils and struts, strut rod bushings, spring upper and lower seats, and bumpers.

Would appreciate any advise and recommendations.

Those old LSs are great, aren't they (I have a '93 with only 117k and love it). I'm not a mechanic but it sounds like you may need most all suspension parts. Have you checked the steering linkage lately - if not those parts may need replacing as well. I would not accept a lousy ride in a LS plus you may be facing some safety concerns. Have your mechanic check out the suspension and steering components soon - the fix will not be cheap but if you're planning on keeping the car, worth it.

that clicking and clunking sound is most likely coming from the ball joint in upper control arms, which means you need to replace the whole upper control arm. That should deffinetly be one of the things replaced, but I would recommend having it professionally looked at to see what all exactly needs replaced so you don't just throw parts at it even though at with that poor of ride everything will probably need to be replaced. Struts, lower control arms, strut mounts are all most likely on the list as well.