'95 Sc400 Repair Price For Timing Parts

eerf95

Hello,

My Engine Light and Trac Off light both came on and stayed on with a "whining" noise coming from the front of car. I took it to a repair shop and they did a Scan ECM for codes and Code #13 was found. They found that two sensors were out of sync and the Cams were out of time and when they looked at the timing belt about a quarter of an inch of it was gone (width wise). They took it apart and found that the bearing wheels that the timing belt sits on were bad (not sure it that is what they are called - pulleys?). One barely would turn, the other made noise. Also the tensioner was bad. They replaced timing belt, timing belt idler br and timing belt tensioner along with the two bearings (pulleys?) and reset the timing.

The total cost was $600 and would like to know if this is a fair price and if the problem sounds right? Good mechanics are hard to fine. I don't mind paying as long as it's fair and the work is accurate. Curious to know what kind of mechanic I used.

Thanks for any information,

Joe

Hello,

My Engine Light and Trac Off light both came on and stayed on with a "whining" noise coming from the front of car. I took it to a repair shop and they did a Scan ECM for codes and Code #13 was found. They found that two sensors were out of sync and the Cams were out of time and when they looked at the timing belt about a quarter of an inch of it was gone (width wise). They took it apart and found that the bearing wheels that the timing belt sits on were bad (not sure it that is what they are called - pulleys?). One barely would turn, the other made noise. Also the tensioner was bad. They replaced timing belt, timing belt idler br and timing belt tensioner along with the two bearings (pulleys?) and reset the timing.

The total cost was $600 and would like to know if this is a fair price and if the problem sounds right? Good mechanics are hard to fine. I don't mind paying as long as it's fair and the work is accurate. Curious to know what kind of mechanic I used.

Joe

That's funny. If they changed the water pump: as the should have, along with everything else, you got a good deal; {Timing belt, idle pully, auto tensioner, timing belt tensioner, yada; yada,yada.}

That kit sell's for $120'is. That's not the labor. By the book; radiator drained; taken out and re-installed; maybe flushed, and as along as your there, get the themostat.

When it all comes down to it; if you got all that for $ 600.00, great. But I think not. Sure, the timing belt can be done without the radiator removal; but it does drive the labor cost way-up if you don't take it out.

As with anything; if they said they changed a part; ask them to show you where they pulled the old part from; with the old part so you can 'picture where it goes, just in case.'

And do you still have Code #13? That code is for just 1 camshaft speed sensor. (The right side if I remember right.) And what about the TRAC light?

There're is so much.

Hello,

Joe

When was the TB last done (mileage) and were the idlers, WP, etc done at that time?

I had the water pump done before along with the timing belt about 8 months ago. They just replaced the belt again because it was shredded on one side, the Idler, tensioners, and pulleys. Both lights are now off and it is running smooth again.

Hello,

Joe

I had the water pump done before along with the timing belt about 8 months ago. They just replaced the belt again because it was shredded on one side, the Idler, tensioners, and pulleys. Both lights are now off and it is running smooth again.

If the TB was done right 8 mths ago, the pulleys/tensioner would not be seizing because they would have been replaced at that time along w the pump and any wet seals, etc. Otherwise, as you have described it, the work wasn't done properly and now has to be corrected just 8mths later. As Sean mentions, always, ask for any parts that have been replaced and inspect them to verify the invoice!

Here's a primer that might help:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=343752