Gs300 Need Transmission Filter

I want to replace the transmission filter in my son's 2001 GS300 3.0. The filter I bought only has a fine metal screen as a filter element. I called Lexus and the parts guy said theirs is the same. I would rather find a filter with a better filter media like I see in other transmission filters.

Does anyone know who makes a better filter or where I can get one?

I want to replace the transmission filter in my son's 2001 GS300 3.0. The filter I bought only has a fine metal screen as a filter element. I called Lexus and the parts guy said theirs is the same. I would rather find a filter with a better filter media like I see in other transmission filters.

ummm the OEM FILTER which is at the Lexus Dealership.

ummm the OEM FILTER which is at the Lexus Dealership.

I'm looking for something better than fine screen for a filter media. If the Lexus parts guy is right that is all that is on the OEM filter. Other transmission filters have media similar to oil filter type media that would filter out much smaller particles.

You don't have to replace the filter, It will last forever. There are 3 magnets on the tranny pan that collect any shavings. I suggest that you put an inline filter on the return line from the bottom of the radiator, While you are at it install a tranny cooler. I have both and my tranny fluid is always just as red as new. I also drop the fluid once a year if it needs it or not, $12.00 is cheap insurance.

You don't have to replace the filter, It will last forever. There are 3 magnets on the tranny pan that collect any shavings. I suggest that you put an inline filter on the return line from the bottom of the radiator, While you are at it install a tranny cooler. I have both and my tranny fluid is always just as red as new. I also drop the fluid once a year if it needs it or not, $12.00 is cheap insurance.

Thanks DC. I put a Magnefine filter on the power steering. I had thought about putting one on the transmission if I could not find a better in pan filter. The car has 118,000 miles and seems to be in great shape. The transmission was "serviced" whatever that means by the dealer at 15,000 miles. Not sure why it would need anything at 15,000 miles?? The fluid looks good. I plan to change all the fluid in addition to just draining the pan. I also am a fan of frequent fluid changes for the transmission. (cheap insurance).

Is the factory transmission pan gasked re-useable or will I need a new one? Can I just back flush the filter when I have the pan off?

Thanks DC. I put a Magnefine filter on the power steering. I had thought about putting one on the transmission if I could not find a better in pan filter. The car has 118,000 miles and seems to be in great shape. The transmission was "serviced" whatever that means by the dealer at 15,000 miles. Not sure why it would need anything at 15,000 miles?? The fluid looks good. I plan to change all the fluid in addition to just draining the pan. I also am a fan of frequent fluid changes for the transmission. (cheap insurance).

Is the factory transmission pan gasked re-useable or will I need a new one? Can I just back flush the filter when I have the pan off?

Don't take the pan off unless there needs to be further service, Don't overthink this . Never reuse a gasket.

Don't take the pan off unless there needs to be further service, Don't overthink this . Never reuse a gasket.

The reason I asked about the gasket is some gaskets now are designed to be re-used according to the manufacturers service manual.

I don't understand why not to clean or change the filter. A filter will only hold so much stuff and then they restrict the flow causing low pressure and damage to the transmission. I don't want to do unnecessary work but transmission repair is not cheap.

dcfish, what type of inline filter are you referring too. is that similar to a remote oil filter type of deal? could you explain please. thanks.