Towing An '05 Gs300

Greetings.

@ the end of this month I will be relocating from Pittsburgh to Hartford, CT. After that time I will be traveling for a few months before starting work in Hartford.

I was hoping to clarify some questions I have about towing my GS behind a Uhaul. While this may be the most cost efficient way for me to have a ride back from Hartford after storing my things, I was not sure about the best way to go about it.

When towing these cars can we do so simply by placing the car in neutral, or do you have to disconnect the driveshaft? I would think that I would tow by locking in the front wheels, not rear.

Also if I tow my car behind a larger vehicle will the miles still roll onto the GS? Would the car have to be running to record miles? I thought it was clocked through the tranny, but again I am lacking in knowledge here.

Should I just quit trying to save a $100.00 and fly back? I can rent the hitch for the car for quite cheap, but I dont see the point of renting it if the Miles will go on my car anyway....in that case I would rather enjoy driving it back.

Thank you for clarifying any of this for me. Anyone had experiences w. this? Aside from the normal variables that cause damage this is a safe procedure in terms of wear n tear on the vehicle correct?

In the end...I want to do the best thing for my car as it is the most enjoyable car I have yet to own.

Thanks for your time!

The only way to safely and realistically tow a rear wheel drive car like your GS is to put its rear wheels on a car dolly and tow it with the car facing backwards with its front wheels on the pavement or to put the entire car on a trailer. Either way, your odometer would not be activated. Disconnecting/reconnecting a driveshaft is not a trivial operation.

Unless you are desperate to save a few bucks, just buy that $113 ticket on SW Airlines from Hartford to Pittsburg -- http://www.southwest.com/ . Driving a Uhaul truck is enough of a PITA -- towing a car behind a Uhaul truck is not fun for an amateur ... words from someone (me) who once had a commercial license and towed really big stuff.

Do you have any friends or relatives who are frequent flyers on SW Airlines? No, you can't have one (reserved for family members) but my wife flies on SW enough to have more free tickets than we could ever use.

The only way to safely and realistically tow a rear wheel drive car like your GS is to put its rear wheels on a car dolly and tow it with the car facing backwards with its front wheels on the pavement or to put the entire car on a trailer. Either way, your odometer would not be activated. Disconnecting/reconnecting a driveshaft is not a trivial operation.

Unless you are desperate to save a few bucks, just buy that $113 ticket on SW Airlines from Hartford to Pittsburg -- http://www.southwest.com/ . Driving a Uhaul truck is enough of a PITA -- towing a car behind a Uhaul truck is not fun for an amateur ... words from someone (me) who once had a commercial license and towed really big stuff.

Do you have any friends or relatives who are frequent flyers on SW Airlines? No, you can't have one (reserved for family members) but my wife flies on SW enough to have more free tickets than we could ever use.

Do you have a daughter or sister I can marry then?

Haha. Thanks for the input. I have towed large boats, very often, but like you said this may just be another PITA justifying the extra $60 for a ticket.

Regards.