Quality Diffferences?

Daniel24

I'm noticing a wide range of price differences for water pumps and timing belts for 1992 LS400's, even from the same suppliers. It's time for me to replace these, so I need the benefit of experienced advice.

Nothing too good for this car, but who wants to waste money either?

Are there genuine quality differences between water pumps and timing belts that relate to performance and longevity?

Hi, I just replaced mine, bought them from a club member, but they were bought from:

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page247.html

everything fit perfect, and the car runs fantastic.

I used 1990 - 97 LS400, SC400

$99.00

TS26190 -PCI

1UZFE 4.0 DOHC (1990 - 97) LS400, SC400

3-piece timing belt kit from Preferred Components. Contains new 209 tooth timing belt, tensioner bearing assembly, and upper idler bearing.

and,

GS400, LS400, SC400, GS430, LS430, SC430, LX470, Landcruiser, Tundra

$69.00

WP970 -Rock

1UZFE 4.0 DOHC (1990 -00) GS400, LS400

1UZFE 4.0 DOHC (9/97 -2000 only) SC400

3UZFE 4.3 DOHC (2001 -05) GS430, LS430

2UZFE 4.7 DOHC (1998 -05) LX470

2UZFE 4.7 DOHC (2001 -04) Toyota Sequoia

2UZFE 4.7 DOHC (1998 -04) Toyota Landcruiser

2UZFE 4.7 DOHC (2000 -05) Toyota Tundra

Aftermarket replacement new water pump from D & J Rock Products

NO LEAKS, NO ISSUES

Hi Billy,

I was reading the link on your timing belt & water pump replacement. What was the reasoning not going with OEM as apposed to aftermarket? I have no problems using aftermarket as long as they are good quality. Im always reading that everyone is recommending OEM over aftermarket. I'm glad the parts are working out for you. Are there any others that have used the parts you did with continued success??

Thanks for your time,

Oscar

Hi, I am 75+, had my own garage for 30+ years and have used mostly aftermarket parts all those years. we stayed with name brand quality parts as much as possible. So, I have no reason to doubt them as far as quality goes. There are probably not that many different companys that actually make the parts, they just label them differently for the various resellers.

I started my mechanical life working for GMC truck and coach division of general motors and NONE the parts we built engines with were made by general motors. ALL of them came from independent companys. I could blow you away with some of the information I know. The factories send out for bids, so they can determine (best price) who builds what for them..... so, if you go buy something from Lexus or Toyota and think THEY made it..... wonderful. I am happy for you..

Most of the real quality comes with the WORKMANSHIP of the installer, does he know what he is doing or is he just feeling his way through the process???

cheers, bp

I'm noticing a wide range of price differences for water pumps and timing belts for 1992 LS400's, even from the same suppliers. It's time for me to replace these, so I need the benefit of experienced advice.

Are there genuine quality differences between water pumps and timing belts that relate to performance and longevity?

I compeletly forgot my manners. Thank you for responding.

Are there any other opinions about what top quality parts like these may be?

I've found some of the aftermarket timing belts don't have alignment marks on them, not cool. The OE belt does and makes the belt install a snap. As for water pumps, most any pump you buy is a new part, the majority of them are made in one place and sold out to dozens of suppliers. Only issue I've ever had was a pump that wasn't cut the same as OE, so on a SC400 I did there's a small piece of plastic that fits behind it to seal up the timing cover. The piece wouldn't fit and had to be trimmed.

I've found some of the aftermarket timing belts don't have alignment marks on them, not cool. The OE belt does and makes the belt install a snap. As for water pumps, most any pump you buy is a new part, the majority of them are made in one place and sold out to dozens of suppliers. Only issue I've ever had was a pump that wasn't cut the same as OE, so on a SC400 I did there's a small piece of plastic that fits behind it to seal up the timing cover. The piece wouldn't fit and had to be trimmed.

The timing belt from PCI that I used had the three alignment marks on them, CS, LC & RC. made the job very easy...

good luck on yours.

There are many good aftermarket parts out there. While the parts may work fine, they may not out-live OEM parts(ie:Toyota).

With pricing pressure, there are some questionable parts out there.

Personally, I would not hesitate to use an aftermarket part for something like say the serpentine belt. Easy to replace, no biggy if it does not outlast an OEM.

But, I am not about to use aftermarket on something that takes lots of labor to replace, like the timing belt and waterpump. Just my preference.

Also, remember that you can get decent prices for Toyota parts. I normally don't pay the dealer list for parts. I talk with the parts manager pointing out that

I can get so-and-so part for price x on the internet. He usually matches it without any argument. Saves me the shipping.

There are many good aftermarket parts out there. While the parts may work fine, they may not out-live OEM parts(ie:Toyota).

With pricing pressure, there are some questionable parts out there.

Personally, I would not hesitate to use an aftermarket part for something like say the serpentine belt. Easy to replace, no biggy if it does not outlast an OEM.

But, I am not about to use aftermarket on something that takes lots of labor to replace, like the timing belt and waterpump. Just my preference.

Also, remember that you can get decent prices for Toyota parts. I normally don't pay the dealer list for parts. I talk with the parts manager pointing out that

I can get so-and-so part for price x on the internet. He usually matches it without any argument. Saves me the shipping.

SMART, very smart, wish I had thought of it... TRY THIS FIRST!!

Thanks Landar.... where have you been hiding??

OEM is never a waste of money. In some instances you'll even find aftermarket is more expensive.

Since "nothing is too good for your car", why go cheap on important parts like a TB.

You've got a luxury vehicle built to high standards. The oem parts in some cases might be more expensive initially, but if you amortize the price over the lifetime of the part, it's prob less expensive. In the case of a vital part like the TB, if you have a VVT engine and decide to cheap out on the belt, you leave yourself open to major engine damage if it ever goes. Remember, a lot of so called "bargain" parts are crap coming from China. You have a high end vehicle ... treat it with some respect and it will keep you on the road instead of on the shoulder!

I would like to add to what Bill said about OEM parts. We purchase OEM parts on a regular basis and most parts are made by different suppliers and not the car manufacturer.

You would think that GM cars sold in America use American made parts. Think again. We get OEM parts in that were made all over the world, Canada, Mexico, China, you name it. They are OEM parts but GM did not make them.

The factories where cars are made are just assembly plants. They just assemble the parts together here and paint them. Most of the parts are shipped in from suppliers.

The same goes with almost every car manufacturer. I was working on a Nissan Altima yesterday and on the engine it was stamped, "Made In Mexico".

There is no telling where the car manufacturers get their parts from. It's not like it used to be.

I used to be a GM person. Loved Chevrolet. Wanted to support American people by buying American products. Well, that's out the window. Now I just go for reliability regardless of where the car is made or where the parts come from. Japanese, German and American cars are made in the United States with parts coming in from all over the world. When it comes to cars, it is very difficult to try to support American people by buying American products.

Regardless of what brand of vehicle you buy, the parts are being made all across the globe. If you can find the supplier that supplies the manufacturer, then I don't see any problem buying that part regardless of what the label says.

I purchased aftermarket motor mounts and a transmission mount several weeks ago and they had the OEM part number stamped into them which tells me that this company supplies the manufacturer with the OEM part. Lexus did not make the motor mounts. They paid a supplier to make the motor mounts for them to their specifications. This same supplier sells to aftermarket companies. Same product, different label.

The same goes for many appliance manufacturers. Even though many brands of manufacturers sell a standalone ice maker, only Whirlpool actually builds them. When I built my house I bought a Kitchen Aid ice maker, but it was built by Whirlpool just like all the rest of them.

So who makes the best ice maker? They are all the same, made by Whirlpool, just different labels.

So buying OEM/aftermarket parts can be an iffy proposition. You can actually by OEM parts under a different label but made by the same manufacturer that supplied the car manufacturer.

BUT by buying the parts from the dealer, you can be absolutely sure that the part was made to OEM specs. You might pay more, but this way you can be absolutely sure without the guesswork.

Jerry

I would like to add to what Bill said about OEM parts. We purchase OEM parts on a regular basis and most parts are made by different suppliers and not the car manufacturer.

You would think that GM cars sold in America use American made parts. Think again. We get OEM parts in that were made all over the world, Canada, Mexico, China, you name it. They are OEM parts but GM did not make them.

The factories where cars are made are just assembly plants. They just assemble the parts together here and paint them. Most of the parts are shipped in from suppliers.

The same goes with almost every car manufacturer. I was working on a Nissan Altima yesterday and on the engine it was stamped, "Made In Mexico".

There is no telling where the car manufacturers get their parts from. It's not like it used to be.

I used to be a GM person. Loved Chevrolet. Wanted to support American people by buying American products. Well, that's out the window. Now I just go for reliability regardless of where the car is made or where the parts come from. Japanese, German and American cars are made in the United States with parts coming in from all over the world. When it comes to cars, it is very difficult to try to support American people by buying American products.

Regardless of what brand of vehicle you buy, the parts are being made all across the globe. If you can find the supplier that supplies the manufacturer, then I don't see any problem buying that part regardless of what the label says.

I purchased aftermarket motor mounts and a transmission mount several weeks ago and they had the OEM part number stamped into them which tells me that this company supplies the manufacturer with the OEM part. Lexus did not make the motor mounts. They paid a supplier to make the motor mounts for them to their specifications. This same supplier sells to aftermarket companies. Same product, different label.

The same goes for many appliance manufacturers. Even though many brands of manufacturers sell a standalone ice maker, only Whirlpool actually builds them. When I built my house I bought a Kitchen Aid ice maker, but it was built by Whirlpool just like all the rest of them.

So who makes the best ice maker? They are all the same, made by Whirlpool, just different labels.

So buying OEM/aftermarket parts can be an iffy proposition. You can actually by OEM parts under a different label but made by the same manufacturer that supplied the car manufacturer.

BUT by buying the parts from the dealer, you can be absolutely sure that the part was made to OEM specs. You might pay more, but this way you can be absolutely sure without the guesswork.

Jerry

Guys, I worked quality control in two different GM assembly plants (BOP and Chevrolet) way back when and even in the 1950's and 1960's GM parts came from many non-GM fabrication plants around the country and globe. Even two assembly plants building identical model vehicles might have received the same parts made by different non-GM fabricators. Parts like hoses and body cushions, drive belts, batteries, steering wheels dash pads brake pedal pads and on and on ad-nauseum are made by non GM fabricators. I must agree though that the use of world wide suppliers has likely expanded in recent years. The fabrication of the myriad of parts necessary to build a vehicle boggles the mind, no assembly plant could possibly do all its fabrication and subsequent assembly. Henry Ford tried it in the early part of the 20th century and failed.