Need Expert Advise

synikal1022

I have an issue that I havent been able to solve..........first let me give you a little background.

1998 ls400 in pristine condition with 125k on the clock.

--timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, rotors and caps changed at 100k

--tranny serviced every 30k

--tires and brakes are not older than 6mos

--new power steering pump and alternator done at 120k......yes i had the ever famous problem.

--she gets fresh oil every 3000 miles.

All services done at local toyota dealership; I know one of the guys there.......My issue is that I get a CEL light that comes on every now and then. Whats funny is that i have never been able to get it in the dealership when its on. The vehicle runs great turning in a combined mileage of 26-27mpg's.......runs smooth as silk all the time, no noticeable difference when the CEL is on. My buddy seems to think its an O2 sensor but he says they fall within specs. the fuel cap was repaced just in case and the injectors serviced and still same issue. Hoping that some of you experts can shed some light; I know its difficult without the codes.......any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance. <_<

Apparently they tested th O2 sensors and they fall within specs.

Here's the deal. If the post cat sensor trips a code it doesn't necessarily mean the SENSOR is bad - it means what it is measuring is bad in most cases. That would be poor converter performance, because the post cat sensor simply checks on converter performance.

Strange that the code is not being stored "hard", and so you'll have to drive it until enough trips occur to cause it to be stored.

I would not be worried about it in any event.