Question About Buying A Lexus...

jsteph67

Um...yeah. For those who haven't driven one recently the last 2 Camrys are/were fantastic cars. My mom has an '07 and I've rented the previous gen several times (one for a 400mile jaunt through New Mexico). I can honestly say that the fit and finish meets or exceeds the Mercedes C/E classes of that era; and they are not only bullet proof but grenade resistant.

After 2 Acuras, a VW and other cars my mom is convinced the Camry is the nicest car she's ever owned. I'm trying to talk her into a new or pre-owned ES for her next car but she's resistant to spend the additional money because "the Camry is just so nice." She's even reconsidering the thought of buying a hybrid b/c she gets about 26 mpg. With that ridiculous 268 hp V6.

Yes the ES has better leather; more sound deadening, and nicer finishes, but it's the same basic car as the Camry. It's the same size and the suspension and other platform elements are very similar. It's still a lovely car to drive, but you pay (a lot) more for that privilege.

The LS will be more expensive to own than an ES but not ruinously so. It does have a lot more bells and whistles to break (and occasionally they do) but all in all compared to other cars in it's class its a bargain to own.

It's a little unfair to compare them because they are entirely different classes of car; but they both do very well at what they were designed to do.

The newer ES's are a lot more differentiated from the Camry than yours too...

You don't really know what you're talking about. The ES shares its platform and engine with the Camry along with some suspension architecture. Its about 20%, not 90%, and gets less with every passing generation. Not one body part is shared, not one piece of glass, not one piece of interior trim save the turn signal stalks and such that are also shared with the LS. The ES is no more a "Camry" than an RX.

You might want to try driving one, its a great car, much smoother, quieter, and better appointed than the Camry. Same is true of the TL. The ES is Lexus best selling car by a mile, and the RX is the best selling vehicle in the Lexus line...by a mile. Both based off the Camry Platform.

The ES is every bit as much a "Lexus" as a Toyota. Your LS is just a Toyota too...as are all Lexus vehicles by the virtue that they are a marketing division of Toyota. What about the RX, LX, and GX? Not real Lexuses either?

We're all Lexus owners here...no need to be denigrating towards other vehicles in the line. If you want to voice your opinion fine, but "Camry with a tuxedo on" is offensive and not appropriate.

Well, I am getting OT here. If you can afford a nice LS, thats perfect... or getting an even newer ES may not be a bad thing either... I love the looks of the 03-04 ES models, but I was not a fan of the 07-09 Camrys, so probably would not be a huge fan of that ES unless it rode better than the Camry. The new Camry rides too harshly for my tastes. I like soft and cushy riding cars.

The 07+ ES is a very good riding car. Not sure why the Camry is so much firmer, but it is I've driven them both.

I'm not sure why you assume I haven't driven both. I've owned a few Camrys and I have been on several ES300/330 test drives. I also drove a 2005 Honda Accord V6 for a year or so, and when I rode in my friend's 2005-ish Acura TL, the resemblance was uncanny! I had the same feeling driving those Lexus ES sedans!

Do you really think it's just coincidence that the 2003 ES300 and the 2005 Camry V6 have the exact same wheelbase length, front track width, rear track width, engine (1MZ-FE), 5 speed automatic transmission, suspension configuration, etc.?? The list goes on and on! This is a PRIME example of Toyota being smart and just throwing a new interior, more sound deadening and a few extra amenities and safety features onto a car and fooling the vast majority of people into thinking it is a unique car. Honda does the same thing, and GM and Ford have made a ton of money out of this!

I don't see why you're so offended--a Camry is a pretty damn good car. A Camry with a tux on is even better. ;)

I'm really not trying to offend you, I'm just telling it like it is.

That may be true for the time being, but I bet you the next Camry will pretty much incorporate all aspects of the current ES. (Usually the car companies forge ahead with the new designs in their luxury divisions first.)

That may be true for the time being, but I bet you the next Camry will pretty much incorporate all aspects of the current ES. (Usually the car companies forge ahead with the new designs in their luxury divisions first.)

At which point they will continue to devise new technologies and refinements for the new ES. Technology moves ever forward.

All you say is true, but it doesn't change the fact that the ES has an entirely different interior and exterior from the Camry, as well as different suspension tuning and engine and drivetrain tuning.

Buddy of mine has an 07 Camry Hybrid...the ES is a much smoother and quieter car and has a MUCH nicer interior. On top of that its a better looking car with a better warranty.

And you may say you did not mean to be offensive...but your post was meant to be offensive regardless of what you say. Just read it over again, Jainla's post was not offensive.