Sticky Power Mirror (passenger Side)

curiousB

The passenger side mirror on my LS430 '04 has trouble moving up. Left to right is fine. It moves down fine but when I go all the way down to the limit stop it gets stuck and won't come up. With a bit of playing I can eventually get it freed up. I don't think it’s electrical (because I can get it going). I suspect some gear or mechanism is stuck or lube is gummed up. I don't want to burn out the motor as a new mirror assembly is $800 or so.

Anyone seen this problem?

Is there a way to open up the plastic housing without breaking any plastic tabs?

Sorry not seen this problem before I guess you could try spraying some lube ( WD40 in UK) with an extension nozzle behind the mirror to see if it frees off.

Here is a link to the exploded mirror diagram which may help if you have to take it apart.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2004_LEXU...ETGKA_8701.html

• 1 month later...

I did an earlier comment on this issue, both of my mirror assemblies were replaced under warranty for sticking on the up/down motion. A number of LS 430 folks replied that they had the same problem. I can't believe Lexus hasn't fixed this, as the replacement cost for my repair was nearly $1000. I think one of the factors is use of the dip mirror feature when in reverse, which I've now disabled (but I did like it) as I'd not like to have a similar repair out of my pocket. :(

I did an earlier comment on this issue, both of my mirror assemblies were replaced under warranty for sticking on the up/down motion. A number of LS 430 folks replied that they had the same problem. I can't believe Lexus hasn't fixed this, as the replacement cost for my repair was nearly $1000. I think one of the factors is use of the dip mirror feature when in reverse, which I've now disabled (but I did like it) as I'd not like to have a similar repair out of my pocket. :(

I wasn't aware you could disable the mirror dip feature. How is it done...?

I wasn't aware you could disable the mirror dip feature. How is it done...?

I'd also disable the auto steering tilt while you're at it!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on travel, but page 43 of the owners manual tells how to delete the mirror dipping feature. Simply put the mirror adjust to the center position. The steering wheel tilt is a different story, it is one of the features that requires a dealer (or someone with special equipment) to change (also labeled "Personalized Settings"). If you want to change more than one of the "Personalized Settings" the cost is probably the same.