Car Shakes At 60-80 Km's Per Hour

KEMMER

So i'm driving moderately at 70 k's and the car starts to shake like a fair bit, but any where under 60 or over 80 it runs just fine. Any one have any ideas, could it be my timing or spark issue? I do have to replace the main o2 sensor on passenger side, could this cause a shake at these speeds? :(

My first suspicion would be the tires. As far as the shaking not being noticed at other speeds, that is not unusual. My friend once had a car that shook like a bandit between 60-80 but when you got up to 85 or 90 and at slow speeds it was fine. He got off the Thruway one time and one of the ball joints just dropped.

There are so many things that can cause shaking. I would have an alignment done and see what they say. If there is bad parts, it will show up.

probably wheels out of balance.

Do you really think that an alignment would fix this........ it really seems to shaky for that and why wouldn't it shake at other speeds?

Yes, its not alignment. Its wheel balance. The fact that it goes in and out of vibration is a phenomenon known as mechanical resonance. At those speeds the vibration gets amplified because the vibration is at "a resonant frequency". Just having tires balanced should fix it. If rim is bent they may not be able to balance the tire but they'll know when they try to balance.

Yep, 95% of the time it's balance when it happens around 60-70mph (some variance with the size of the tire). Something to do with the centrifugal force at that speed or something and it will be worse on some roads than others due to some oscillations in the road that build up over time.

Wow that's hard to believe but I do know that when I had it checked a couple weeks back they mentioned that I needed and alignment so I'm taking it in in the next few days and we'll find out. THank you guys for your input.