Anyone Has Experience Replacing The 12v Battery?

Had my 40,000 mile 2006 RX400h in the dealer recently for a brake repair. The dealer noticed that the battery was low and replaced it under the original factory bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Are you folks saying the engine is started from the hybrid battery and not the aux battery? I thought the 12V aux battery did the engine starting and powered the accessories.

The twelve volt battery powers the computers that run everything else. I guess it likely powers some accessories as well (seeing as you can drain the battery by listening to the radio or playing with the NAV system without the car in READY mode). However, there is no starter in our vehicles for the 12 volt battery to start. Instead one of the front motor generators (there is MG1 MG2 (both front) and MGR (rear if you have awd) starts the engine when it's needed. So, yes, technically the traction battery starts the engine via MG1 or MG2 (I think it's MG1, which also charges the traction battery - MG2 powers the front wheels). Also, there is no alternator - the 12 volt battery is charged by the traction battery.

Had my 40,000 mile 2006 RX400h in the dealer recently for a brake repair. The dealer noticed that the battery was low and replaced it under the original factory bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Are you folks saying the engine is started from the hybrid battery and not the aux battery? I thought the 12V aux battery did the engine starting and powered the accessories.

We bought our 2006 RX400h in April of 2005 and the battery is still doing well. What was wrong with your brakes?

• 4 years later...

Hi, noob Dr. Jimbo here. I've done the search function, found the ISC reset that I need to do but I can't find the pinned thread by cduluk about reseting the other functions (windows, seats, back hatch, etc.) after I replace the 12v battery. Does anyone have the link? I've been searching and can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo