Hybrid Driving Impressions

I had never driven a hybrid vehicle before taking two RX400s out for test drives tonight. Two things that were disconcerting to me: 1. a non-linear brake feel, and 2. while cruising on the highway, the vehicles seemed to be frequently hesitating and then lurching, presumably while switching between driving modes. Actually the second vehicle (w/ 25k miles) was much better than the first (w/ 41k miles) on the highway, and maybe would not have even been noticeable if I had driven it first.

I assume that to some degree this is normal for hybrids. Do you get used to it? Or does it get worse over time?

Thanks.

Hm, i find the hybrid CVT system in the Rx400h to be the smoothest transmission i've ever felt. What year Rx's were you in? Could be something that was fixed for 2008 i'm not sure...

I definitely don't feel anything wrong when on the highway, no hesitation at all, unless you accelerate hard- there's a bit of a hesitation before the computer tells which motor to do what, but then you feel the power!

As far as the braking system, yeah it's a bit different. It has something to do with the re-charging of the battery when braking. It's definitely "different" but you get used to it VERY quickly and it doesn't pose any safety risk.

I have one of the first batch of RX400hs and after 45,000 miles, there is still never any lurching or irregular sensations when driving on the highway. At highways speeds there is never any switching from electric to gas power unless the vehicle is coasting for a while. Even then, the transition is ultra-smooth.

My guess is that something is not right with the first one you drove. As far as brakes are concerned, there are times when they feel a bit non-linear, but that is the exception with our RX.

There is a TSB about a 'rocking feeling' at 70mph (and one at 40mph). Apparently a simple flash upgrade to the tranny computer can fix this. It only applies to vehicle below a certain VIN number. Look at the TSB sticky posted at the top of the forum.

YOU SHOULD REALY TRY THE 2010 RX450H IT IS UNBELIVABLE

Just a piece of advice for posting in internet forums. Typing in ALL CAPS is akin to SHOUTING in real life. Unless you really want to make a point, try typing in lower case.

i dont know if you want to consider a new one but there is supposed to be new technology in the 2010 450h that even minimizes the feel of the engine kicking in even more. also my experience ( and i do use premium fuel) is that regular gas causes a smoother transition when the engine starts up than premium, it is hard to know what gas was in your test vehicles. i do also agree about the tsb that lemon previously mentioned, lexus can check that for you. get a clunker, trade it in on a new one LOL those lexus cars are on sale right now!! dont wait. ;)

There is a TSB about a 'rocking feeling' at 70mph (and one at 40mph). Apparently a simple flash upgrade to the tranny computer can fix this. It only applies to vehicle below a certain VIN number. Look at the TSB sticky posted at the top of the forum.

Wow, that must be what it was. Both of them were 2006 models. Acceleration wasn't a problem, just maintaining highway speed. Maybe I'll call the salesman tomorrow and ask him about it. Thanks, Lemon!

i dont know if you want to consider a new one but there is supposed to be new technology in the 2010 450h that even minimizes the feel of the engine kicking in even more. also my experience ( and i do use premium fuel) is that regular gas causes a smoother transition when the engine starts up than premium, it is hard to know what gas was in your test vehicles. i do also agree about the tsb that lemon previously mentioned, lexus can check that for you. get a clunker, trade it in on a new one LOL those lexus cars are on sale right now!! dont wait. ;)

I only felt the engine kick in a couple of times. I think maybe it was running most of the time anyway to keep that AC going!! B)