Fluctuating Coolant Levels

vroom8

since I had my starter replaced, my coolant levels have been fluctuating very strangely....it is fine in the AM when it is cold, right on the upper line...but as I drive it either stays there (even when very hot...after many miles) or it even goes lower to the bottom line.....then goes way up to the top of the res tank...then way down to the lower line again.

I just had a new water pump put in 1 year ago this month. I don't see any water under the car.

Anyone know why these levels would be so wierd?

The water level usually stays at the top of the tank when it is hot, but now it seems to be going up and down.

Mine kinda does the same thing... I have put 26K miles on it and the level has always fluctuated. However, when engine is cold, the level is well below the line... when at normal operating temp, its normal. New water pump at 195K. It has 222K now.

Mine kinda does the same thing... I have put 26K miles on it and the level has always fluctuated. However, when engine is cold, the level is well below the line... when at normal operating temp, its normal. New water pump at 195K. It has 222K now

so, do u add coolant?...i have but i can't see where it is going, not on the ground or lower guard panel.

you have driven 26K with it doing this?

maybe i won't worry about it then.

my radiator lite is not coming on.

so, do u add coolant?...i have but i can't see where it is going, not on the ground or lower guard panel.

Nope, I havent added any coolant... it stays like that and has been like that. Its very low when cold and full when hot. I did have a fan bracket bearing installed 3K ago and he added some coolant when some came out when he removed the water pump, but its still like that- it was full, but its still fluctuating. I have never seen any leaking. My low coolant light is ALWAYS on... faulty sensor and I am not paying $85 for a new one. lol. Temperature always stays below 1/2 way... never above. Same place my other LS400 temps stayed. I am guessing its just these cars have fluctuating coolant levels?

You may have a bit of air in the system try squeezing the lower radiator hose a few times when the engine is warm ( be very careful and wear gloves)

I also changed my starter recently but since refilling the level has been constant.

Nope, I havent added any coolant... it stays like that and has been like that. Its very low when cold and full when hot. I did have a fan bracket bearing installed 3K ago and he added some coolant when some came out when he removed the water pump, but its still like that- it was full, but its still fluctuating. I have never seen any leaking. My low coolant light is ALWAYS on... faulty sensor and I am not paying $85 for a new one. lol. Temperature always stays below 1/2 way... never above. Same place my other LS400 temps stayed. I am guessing its just these cars have fluctuating coolant levels?

well, i found a leaking coolant intake engine hose.

i took it to my mechanic and he tightened it.

i am hoping the problen is now solved.

You may have a bit of air in the system try squeezing the lower radiator hose a few times when the engine is warm ( be very careful and wear gloves)

I also changed my starter recently but since refilling the level has been constant.

yes, i will try that...is that the big one under the top one?

My car has always been low and often when I start the car, the low collant light is on but goes off after a minute or so. When I try to top it off, it overflows the tanks

i also bought a new coolant res cap. have u tried that?

I never have either. Its been like that for thousands of miles and never caused anything to happen, so I have not worried about it... but it would be nice to see the level stay the same. I will look into that new coolant tank cap theory.

Hope that tightened hose solves your issues.

$85? I was quoted $250 to remove the Parthenon of Doom logo from my dash.

I never have either. Its been like that for thousands of miles and never caused anything to happen, so I have not worried about it... but it would be nice to see the level stay the same. I will look into that new coolant tank cap theory.

Hope that tightened hose solves your issues.

THANKS. It seems to have. Since my mechanic took apart my upper engine to get to the starter, and removed several hoses, they seem to be leaking....now i will have him replace them...he is very frugal and likes to save me $$ so he didn't.

2 have leaked since.

yes---try the new reservior cap...they are about $10.00. I just replaced mine too.

my coolant level seems to be stable now......but i haven't checked it so far today!

Took a photo of my coolant level... this is where it always is before the car is started. In the winter, its lower than this level... after warmed up, its always full... (overlook my pathetically soiled engine bay) :rolleyes:

015.jpg

yes, that sems a little low...but if it is full when hot..that is strange.

As long as it is stable, nothing to worry about?