Ls400 Power Steering Problem

felixthekat

start with the little stuff make sure your tires are inflated all the way. i would also check the hose on the intake. theres 2 of them the smaller one is a power steering assist valve and makes it easier to turn the wheel. if theres no problems there i would check the pump itself. put your hand down there and touch the bottom of it and see if theres any moisture. one more question, when you turn your wheel does your rpm meter jump up or does it bog down?

This may sound obvious but have you checked the fluid level in the reservoir? If it is low top up with fluid and recheck regularly if it goes down significantly you have a leak somewhere.

There is also a rack solenoid filter that can get clogged but can be removed and cleaned.

A good resource site is here www.lexls.com.

Remove PPS solenoid from the drivers side. Fix connector above solenoid when removing to keep fluid out of the connector. Be sure to place a drain pan under it as your PS fluid will pretty much all drain out. Clean the screen on the solenoid as is discussed alot on this forums. Make sure the solenoid move freely by spraying some WD40 or similar and using a small nail or something to stick in the end to make sure the solenoid is moving freely.

I did this because of really hard steering and now it steers with one finger.

Be sure to fill the res. with ATF after you install the solenoid. Bet this is your problem.

Be sure to fill the res. with ATF after you install the solenoid. Bet this is your problem.

Agreed with the comment on the solenoid filter. Big improvement for me when I did it on my '91.

To clarify on "fill with ATF": the PS system uses DEXRON III ATF. DEXRON is a specification, not a brand, so many companies make it. Not to be confused with the Toyota Type T-4 ATF that goes in your AT. Don't put DEXRON in the AT, and don't put Type T-4 ATF in the PS (may not be a problem, but DEXRON is way cheaper than the Toyota stuff, and the Lexus calls for DEXRON III in the PS system).

Agreed with the comment on the solenoid filter. Big improvement for me when I did it on my '91.

To clarify on "fill with ATF": the PS system uses DEXRON III ATF. DEXRON is a specification, not a brand, so many companies make it. Not to be confused with the Toyota Type T-4 ATF that goes in your AT. Don't put DEXRON in the AT, and don't put Type T-4 ATF in the PS (may not be a problem, but DEXRON is way cheaper than the Toyota stuff, and the Lexus calls for DEXRON III in the PS system).

great info - i only replaced my fluid about 3 weeks ago with dexron V full synthetic (which it should cover dexron III - no parts store carried dexron III anymore). the filter on the sylenoid would not budge, even with vice grips. is there a trick to this?

anyways the steering was great for 3 weeks, now i am getting the intermitten smooth, rough, smooth, rough when turning at any RPM. maybe the filter finally got clogged up enough to restrict the flow?? what is the best way to get it off of a 95 LS?

will be taking pics this time for sure.

;)