Wax 09 Lexus Rx350

I read good/bad comments on wax new car on web. I wonder how many of you begin to wax your car after you bought it? Any advice? Which wax brand is good? I am planning to wax my car myself. Many thanks in advance.

When you have a vehicle's finish repaired/repainted...the body shop says to not wax it for at least 90 days to allow the paint to "cure". I believe the factory finishes today are fine to wax as soon as you buy the vehicle but ask the dealership to be sure. They might not even know. If you're really concerned, just wait a couple months after you buy it to wax it.

As for which products to use, the answers will vary widely. Personally, I've always liked Meguiars cleaners/polishes/waxes. Walmart carries them, so they're not expensive and I believe they make good quality products. Been using them for 20+ years with no complaints.

You might also want to check the forums at http://www.autopia.org/ which is a site dedicated to car detailing.

I personally use Zaino Brothers wax http://www.zainostore.com/ I use the Z2 Pro with the ZFX flash additive and the results are amazing. I usually put two coats on in the spring and the fall. Between the two coats I use the Z6 gloss enhancer spray, which really gives it a wet look (wash and dry car, apply Z2 with ZFX, buff off, apply Z6 spray, buff off, apply final coat of Z2 with ZFX, buff off).

If it's an older car, or I feel grit embedded in the paint, I will use a clay bar after the wash, then wash again, then wax. Seeing as your car is new, the clay bar would probably be pointless, but as time goes on and you feel industrial fall out, tree sap and other crap adhering to your paint, the clay bar is like magic.

The Zaino is expensive, but so was your vehicle.

You might also want to check the forums at http://www.autopia.org/ which is a site dedicated to car detailing.

I personally use Zaino Brothers wax http://www.zainostore.com/ I use the Z2 Pro with the ZFX flash additive and the results are amazing. I usually put two coats on in the spring and the fall. Between the two coats I use the Z6 gloss enhancer spray, which really gives it a wet look (wash and dry car, apply Z2 with ZFX, buff off, apply Z6 spray, buff off, apply final coat of Z2 with ZFX, buff off).

If it's an older car, or I feel grit embedded in the paint, I will use a clay bar after the wash, then wash again, then wax. Seeing as your car is new, the clay bar would probably be pointless, but as time goes on and you feel industrial fall out, tree sap and other crap adhering to your paint, the clay bar is like magic.

The Zaino is expensive, but so was your vehicle.

Zaino is a great product line (I have used it on my show car) but it may be one step beyond where most want to go for the work involved in application. NXT2 is the same type finish with excellent results and a lot less work to apply IMO.

/quote]

Zaino is a great product line (I have used it on my show car) but it may be one step beyond where most want to go for the work involved in application. NXT2 is the same type finish with excellent results and a lot less work to apply IMO.

I'll have to keep that in mind when my Zaino runs out. The Zaino is pricey, and you're right about the amount of work to apply it (the results are worth in my opinion, though). However, I'm not getting any younger and if the NXT2 is easier to apply with similar results, it might be worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

95 bucks is a bit steep for a can of wax for the average do it yourself type. You can get fantastic results without breaking the bank. Lots of people here seem to like the Maguires products and I have to agree as well.

Just make sure that you clay bar your car before you start. Even though it's new, you'll be surprised what will come off of the new paint.

Pardon my ignorance. What is 'clay bar'? I am totally new to this, and never cared about my Highlander. But RX is my baby. I am about to buy Maguires Wax 2.0, but I would like to know the fine print, so please explain what you are warning about. Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance. What is 'clay bar'? I am totally new to this, and never cared about my Highlander. But RX is my baby. I am about to buy Maguires Wax 2.0, but I would like to know the fine print, so please explain what you are warning about. Thanks.

The clay bar removes any surface imperfections prior to wax applications. This is used by car detailers and car show people. I do not suggest this for owners just wanting to put on a good fast wax application. It is a lot of extra work, unless you have nothing else to do and like "petting" your Lexus..................IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
i use klasse all in one (red bottle) to clean and prep the car.

then i use pinnacle souveran wax to make it real shiny. it's very easy to apply, and it wipes off clean. no white marks.

http://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html

http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html

I've heard good things about the Pinnacle product line, but haven't tried their wax yet. I do use their leather care products for my seats though..

Consumer Reports rates Zymol as the #1 wax/polish on the market today, and that's what I use. It's inexpensive (about $10/16 oz bottle), easy on/off, and provides a brillient shine; but most importantly, the protection is fantastic! And it's an all natural product as well...no harsh chemicals..