Gps Keeps Getting Lost

I'm a new owner of an '06 RX 400h. The GPS seems to work sporaticcally. It sometimes gets lost and then it can be several hundred miles away. We are having to recalibrate it when this happens. Yesterday we were on roads that were not on the map and after that it got lost. How can a car that is connecting to satellites get lost and not correspond its postion on the map. Sometimes the direction indicator on the map is not the true direction of the car. Can this be fixed so that we don't have to continue recalibrating every few days?

Before giving my 400h back to the dealer Lexus Cpo My RX400h did the same thing as you described. I never did get to research the problem. I recalibrated it several times and even manually input my location and it still had me two states away at times. Try looking for the disc and re-inserting it.

This is just a guess but, are you in the correct region? Are you close to the border of a region?

Lenny

I'm in the correct region. The GPS just gets off track more than it should. For example if I am detoured off the main road due to construction then the GPS freaks out because the detour is not on its map. When I finally get back on the main road it's still way off in the field somewhere and never makes it back to the road. Another time I was on some road not on the map. When I got back to a main road it couldn't get back on track. We're continually having to readjust or recalibrate the GPS. Sometimes several times a day on a long trip. Something is not right. In the secret menu there are options such as "location" "gps" etc. Could there be something in there that could fix it? This is the screen that has the override fuction.

This is just a guess but, are you in the correct region? Are you close to the border of a region?

Lenny

I'm in the correct region. The GPS just gets off track more than it should. For example if I am detoured off the main road due to construction then the GPS freaks out because the detour is not on its map. When I finally get back on the main road it's still way off in the field somewhere and never makes it back to the road. Another time I was on some road not on the map. When I got back to a main road it couldn't get back on track. We're continually having to readjust or recalibrate the GPS. Sometimes several times a day on a long trip. Something is not right. In the secret menu there are options such as "location" "gps" etc. Could there be something in there that could fix it? This is the screen that has the override fuction.

This can occur if their is prolonged blockage of the GPS signal for any reason, but its not normal for it to be cronic as you suggest. I had this kind of thing happen on a *really* overcast day when I took a very gradual offramp transition to surface streets and the cars steering and speeed sensors didn't notice the change in direction (guess it doesn't read the compass) so it assumed I was still going down the freeway. Soon it was totally lost. I gave up on it and truned off the display, but when the weather cleared the next day everything was fine.

Sounds like a hardware problem. Either with one of the sensors or the GPS itself. You will likely have to take it into a dealer to get it diagnosed, if poking around at the obvious things (ant, dvd, etc) don't seem to help. Do you have a dash cover?

• 1 month later...
I'm a new owner of an '06 RX 400h. The GPS seems to work sporaticcally. It sometimes gets lost and then it can be several hundred miles away. We are having to recalibrate it when this happens. Yesterday we were on roads that were not on the map and after that it got lost. How can a car that is connecting to satellites get lost and not correspond its postion on the map. Sometimes the direction indicator on the map is not the true direction of the car. Can this be fixed so that we don't have to continue recalibrating every few days?

Do you have a radar detector in the car? I had a similar problem, and finally determined that the radar detector interfered with the GPS signal if it were positioned too close to the dash. I had to move it higher up on the winshield. If you have a radar detector...try removing it to confirm.