Guys I Really Need Your Help About My Rims.

jasp615

Hi Everyone,

I really need some guidance with a problem that I just noticed that is getting worse. I have a 06 GX 470 which I have had since new this truck isn't even 3 yrs old yet. My truck is kept impeccable inside and out. If there is salt my truck it's washed off right away. If we come down from the mountains on the way my truck is hosed off even the undercarriage. The truck has 25,000 miles on it. I live in Philly so there is little snow that we do get. Maybe 2-3 times during the winter.

We have owned 12 brand new trucks in 25 yrs. I have never had one problem with rims from any other maker. This is our first foreign vehicle and I expected more. Prior to this I owned 2 Cadillac Escalade's 2003 and 2005. Never had a problem with the rims but the quality just wasn't there inside.

How do I handle this? Is this covered under warranty? I'm really upset about this. How can the rims on a Lexus just bubble up like there is rust under the paint? This isn't just pit marks anymore but large size patches. this is not by the weights for balancing.

I want this taken care of because this is the one truck that I wanted to hold on to. I would normally have gotten a new one by now but feel this is nuts because the truck still looks brand new and I paid it off a couple months ago. Why get rid of something that is what I want.

Please give me some advice or information that I can use to help me get this taken care of. Has this happen to anyone else? Just because I'm a girl I don't want to be taken advantage of. This site has always given me great advice so I respect the knowledge here. I see that this has been posted before but I'm still under warranty and will be for another 13 months and I didn't see any suggestions on how to handle this.

Sami

I have the same problem with my '04 which was also driven in PA. The best lexus could offer me is they will pay 1/2 of the replacement cost of the wheels which is 500 a piece. I am still contemplating if I should take the offer or just keep driving as is since it does not effect the ride at all. Mine is out of warranty but yours is probably still under the 4 yr / 50K warranty then you should get full replacement on these. Lets keep us updated of your situation.

You can view my post here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=51417&hl=

Mine were repainted by the dealer when the vehicle was under warranty. Two years later, they are back to being bubbled. So, they will remain that way and eventually, I will buy new wheels. Such is life. MA winters are rough on wheels and I am not one to keep them cleaned and waxed. :-)

Mine were repainted by the dealer when the vehicle was under warranty. Two years later, they are back to being bubbled. So, they will remain that way and eventually, I will buy new wheels. Such is life. MA winters are rough on wheels and I am not one to keep them cleaned and waxed. :-)

Mine are going to be refinished. Replacing doesn't guarantee that this won't happen again. They assure me that they would be done right. So do you think they shouldn't be refinished but replaced? The one's that have been repainted did they look good?

Mine are going to be refinished. Replacing doesn't guarantee that this won't happen again. They assure me that they would be done right. So do you think they shouldn't be refinished but replaced? The one's that have been repainted did they look good?

They looked fine for a couple of years and now they look bubbled. So, good luck. I don't think replacements would be any better. My guess is the only thing that would work is a rim that does not have a painted or chrome finish. I am no expert and I don't feel like investing in new rims, so they will stay the way they are and that is that. The Lexus is a 2004 and other than the rims, it is perfect. After 5 years, I am not so picky. More important things to worry about...

• 1 month later...

I wanted to thank you all for your input. My rims were replaced by Lexus of Atlantic City over the weekend. It wasn't planned this way but the truck was brought in with a problem with the alternator so while there they said they would replace them for me free of charge. I did have an appointment with Wilkie Lexus to have them replaced on 9/14 but canceled when my truck was towed into Atlantic City. Now I don't have to worry about another appointment. I'm very happy with my choice.

i just had mine replaced on my 06 gx they were doing the samething i live in florida the dealer tried to say that maybe it was from the salt water or moisture and i stated that its funny that theres pages of people on the net that have the same prob. on the net and after talking to the service manager they replaced them under warranty.