Rx400h Dashboard Reflective Glare

We bought a 2006 RX400h a couple of months ago. Apparently, the dealer's detailer put a high gloss finishing product on the black dashboard and the shiny, high-gloss surface now causes significant reflections on the windshield. These reflections are a great distraction while driving and and a concern to us. I took the car to the local dealer and they have tried twice to clean the dash to reduce the gloss finish. It's a little better each time, but is still a problem.

We have ordered a flat-black suede dash mat to help with the problem, but wonder if others have experienced the same thing and can recommend something to clean the dash to eliminate the problem. The dash mat takes 2 weeks to make and ship. Will report back after it has been installed.

That is really terrible, FlyWright. I suspect it was the dreaded Armorall, which I think contains alcohol and silicone among other ingredients. The good news is that the shiny effect will diminish in time. The bad news is that any solvents you might use to remove the Armorall will also degrade your dash material.

Just a long shot, but you might try a phone call to Meguiar's and ask what they would recommend. They have some smart guys and some good products.

Tom

I know Dawn dishwashing detergent (the regular blue colour, not the fancy colours) is used by detailers all over to wash a car before applying high quality wax. The Dawn actually strips off the old wax, but is OK for the paint (this is why you should not wash your car with dishwashing detergent by the way).

You might try some Dawn mixed in water and a sponge to see if it will stip off whatever is on your dash.

To protect the dash after, there are products that are low gloss.

The other thing you may want to do is wear a pair of polarized sunglasses. The polarized lenses are amazing at reducing reflections.

Armorall, Meguiar's, and many others offer low-gloss protectant for dashes. These are available at any auto parts stores and Walmart, so it probably wouldn't hurt to buy a bottle and try it out.

lemon, many 'detailers' do alot of things but dawn dishwashing soap cannot be good for the clearcoat finish, i dont care what you are putting on it afterward. meguiars, makes a low gloss finish for interior vinyl and dash surfaces, with some products one coat is low gloss the second coat adds more if you want. sorme recommend wiping with a soft cloth after the application to lower the gloss. i also find any higher gloss finish on the dash a particular irritant.

just don't use mr clean's magic eraser! It removes the dye...

Dish detergent with water on a soft cotton rag will do the trick and be safe.

lemon, many 'detailers' do alot of things but dawn dishwashing soap cannot be good for the clearcoat finish, i dont care what you are putting on it afterward. meguiars, makes a low gloss finish for interior vinyl and dash surfaces, with some products one coat is low gloss the second coat adds more if you want. sorme recommend wiping with a soft cloth after the application to lower the gloss. i also find any higher gloss finish on the dash a particular irritant.

Do a google or check here - www.autopia.org As much else in the world, everyone has an opinion and they vary.

I'm not suggesting to use Dawn everytime you wash your car. Rather, use it once to remove old wax, oils, etc. etc. then use a high quality wax and maintain the finish and you'll not need Dawn again.

I've used it on several cars before applying Zaino and the results have been phenomenal. Who knows, maybe it's just the Zaino?

Speaking of detailing, if you're not going to use Dawn, I would very highly recommend that you at least use a clay bar on your paint before applying wax.

im with you on the clay bar and zaino, the zaino also smells like fruit, the zaino does leave more powder residue than most, and its harder to get off if you leave it on too long, been using liquid synthetic waxes lately, you can apply to the whole car at once in a wide range of dry weather and then buff it off. Alot of product choice depends on whe quality of the finish you have now and what you want to achieve with the waxing.