Checked Out The 2000 Ls400..with Some Pics

chef

Que: on the report on this car it showed that the battery was replaced a few times...are they known for using up batteries? find it kinda odd...

Yes, from the very first version, the Lexus LS has been documented to be hard on batteries. My 2000 LS400's in-service date was July 31, 2000 and its already on its 4th battery.

Also is it normal that they would just change the timing belt and not the waater pump? or do they do a visual to see if it's leaking and if not they keep it in??

There is a school of thought that LS water pumps have become so reliable that it is no longer necessary to replace them every 90,000 miles. The local Toyota dealer doesn't replace the water pump on Toyota branded cars during the timing belt service for the same reason.

I'm a coward and had my water pump replaced at 90,000 miles. The water pump on my first LS (a 1990) failed at around 75,000 miles and took the timing belt out.

1990 thanks for the replies....wow! i didn't think they would eat up batteries that way..maybe due to all the computers/electronics in this car?

I was curious..if i get the 2002 ls430 what would i be looking at in terms of maintenace, lets say within a year? i do about 20-25000 km/year....mostly highway with some traffic....i don' mean in terms of fuel cost, insurance...just on repairs/maintenance...thanks

My bro is also looking at a new (used) car..it's a 2005 dodge magnum with the 5.7L AWD engine...looks mean! but i think that between the 2 cars, the LS is a bit more reliable and interms of maintenance should be about the same as the dodge..whatcha think? i wonder if the LS can take on the dodge in a race? hmmmmm????

fabs

My car is a Millenium Edition as well originally from Spinelli Lexus in Pointe Claire. I didn't think it had any rust when I first bought it as well. Much to my dismay, when I took off the plastic wheel well edge protectors to roll the fender lips I found some surface rust. Bad design from Lexus. Either way, this is what It looked like the day I bought it:

2000ls400_a.jpg

And this is what it looks like today:

4.jpg

HAY, Schnitz, great looking Lexus....

you done a super job with it...

cheers, bp