Service Campaign Done Today..

I had the service campaign #913 done today at Lexus of Oakville in Ontario, Canada (913 in Canada, I think the US has a different #). I don't notice anything different, except the alignment is now spot on, as they had to do a front end alignment after replacing the rack. I crawled under the vehicle to check out the work that had been done. There's a nice shiny silver steering rack under there now (the old one was kinda rusty looking)complete with new bushings where it connects to the wheels. If you haven't had this campaign done yet, I encourage you to call your local Lexus dealer and book an appointment.

The service advisor was quick to point out that this is not a 'recall' (i.e. not mandated by the government), but is something Lexus has decided to deal with BEFORE the government orders it.

Does this fix apply to the RX350 as well? I hadn't heard of it before this post.

Don't think so. They are completely different designs.

Tom

Does this fix apply to the RX350 as well? I hadn't heard of it before this post.

No. The steering assembly in the hybrid is electric. There's some problem with the magnets or something that can lead to a failure of the power assist. The non hybrid is a traditional rack utilizing a power steering pump and fluid.

I just had mine done. the alignment changed slighly (no better, no worse... just different... I'm probably the only one who could tell) and the road feel or weight on the steering wheel seems to have increased somewhat (less boost?).

I like the new 400h feel. Driving the IS loaner car (and other RX's in the past) was unnerving because the other Lexus lines are all so over boosted and disconnected feeling. I hope the new RX450 follows the same approach with the steering.

• 6 months later...
Lemon...

What is this campaign ? I'm at 43k and would like to make sure I get this in before 50k comes around.... What are the symptoms ? Do you have documentation or TSB for this ?

Please advise...

There are no symptoms. Your steering will just fail (I guess) - something to do with magnets in the steering rack. The rack is electric on the hybrid. Just call Lexus, give them your VIN and ask if it's been done (might as well ask if there are any outstanding recalls while you have them on the phone. Alternatively, you could ask the dealer to check your VIN (depends on how much you trust your dealer to not give you the run around).