Temperature Gauge

lexfourcam

my temp gauge is gettin a little above the middle line. i also noticed when i first start the car the symbol for me to add antifreeze comes on. no leaks at all and the motor doesnt even seem hot, just like it normally is. is this a faulty thermostat?

my temp gauge is gettin a little above the middle line. i also noticed when i first start the car the symbol for me to add antifreeze comes on. no leaks at all and the motor doesnt even seem hot, just like it normally is. is this a faulty thermostat?

top your coolant if it is low it could cause it to run a little warmer than normal. You may have a leak and not know it, I've heard people say something about the weep hole on the water pump leaking in certain place, you could also have a leaking head gasket and it is slowly burning the water but let's hope it's not that.

You should top it and get a pressure tester, pump it up and check for leaks, if it bleeds down the pressure it has to be going somewhere.

T-Stat would normally be stuck open (never heat up) or stuck closed (overheating, smoke, steam etc)

Good luck

the resevoir is full. it doesnt ever move its always where i filled it up at, (the full line). the temp tach moves though that's whats wierd about it. it'll be right in the middle, then i'll look at it and it'll barely be above the middle line. it doesnt matter if im stopped or driving on the expressway going 55. after ive driven it, (for a while) when i get home it's where it should be.

Well, I have a problem kinda of similar but may be off topic. My heat doesn't work at all,and no matter how high I set my Temperature, i still have no heat-- but my T-STAT is not broken...could be a sensor that needs to be repalced or will I have to rip out the dash to fix the problem...? if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know....

I would clean the Radiator with degreaser on the outside metal fins where the air passes to cool the coolant inside the metal, you also need to flush/clean that radiator system and replace the old coolant with a Lex or Toyota or a qualified radiator tech, this has to be done really well; if no change I would replace the radiator cap with an orginal or a replacement that meets the same specifications, if all that failed, I would then go ahead and replace the Thermostat specially, if it is more than seven years old. I think you have one of those parts that is becoming slugish. If any of that is not bad you got a bad head gasket, you could use one of those liquid seal leaks for a cheap remedy until you cough up the bucks to do the expesive job but that should be certified by a pro before thinking about it anything related to a bad gasket! Those usually do not fail easily unless the car has been overheating a lot.

If you are not getting any heat, that indicates a problem. It could be that the fluid is not circulating due to a stuck thermostat, a broken impeller in the water pump, and air lock, or simply low fluid. If I wasn't getting any heat and my temperature gauge wasn't working, I would sure determine the problem before driving it much. If you have no flow, you could be overheating your engine.

On a normally functioning LS400, the temperature gauge should read steadily at slightly below half.

my heater works great dont get me wrong it'll melt you believe me. (loved winter time in that car) but my ac doesnt work and hasnt worked for a while but the defrosters still work and that's all i worry about when im drivin in the rain here in FL. im gonna get the car looked at, gotta get my tranny looked at too, been shifting really *BLEEP*ty.

My "low coolant" light has been on ever since I have bought the car, but the coolant is FULL. Faulty sensor. Everytime I take it to the dealer for an oil change or something the remind me. :rolleyes: They also remind me its $82 for a new sensor. :rolleyes: Temp gauge never goes above 1/2 way though.

yea me too, on a hot day it will work ok. it takes a long time for the needle to move i just worry about when the gas light comes on that's when i fill up. i replaced the coolant temp sensor on the motor today and i noticed it ran much better. the shifts were alot smoother, and it had some more getup. old sensor was really messed up. still gonna do the tranny mount seems like the vibrations gettin worse. i noticed last night actually right before i did all this today. havent looked at the mount though, probably wont even be able to tell until i get it out.