Trailer Hitch Extender/adaptor For Bike Rack?

Norboo

Hello

I have LX 470, 2004 and have the bail mount that came with the adaptor for the trailer hitch. However, when I tried to mount my Thule T2 to the hitch, there is no place to fit the pin.

Is there an extender/adaptor for bike rack?

Thank you

I'm not sure I'm following you. Isn't the ball mount secured to the receiver on an LX470 with a pin?

Normally, one removes the ball mount from the receiver, then plugs the bike rack into the receiver and then secures the bike rack to the receiver with a pin.

etrailer is where I bought the class II hitch for my 00 LS and they have hitch extenders ( http://www.etrailer.com/c-extender.htm ) and hitch mounted bike racks ( http://www.etrailer.com/bike-rack.aspx )

You might give them a call and ask them for advice -- they have been very helpful to me.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Isn't the ball mount secured to the receiver on an LX470 with a pin?

Normally, one removes the ball mount from the receiver, then plugs the bike rack into the receiver and then secures the bike rack to the receiver with a pin.

etrailer is where I bought the class II hitch for my 00 LS and they have hitch extenders ( http://www.etrailer.com/c-extender.htm ) and hitch mounted bike racks ( http://www.etrailer.com/bike-rack.aspx )

You might give them a call and ask them for advice -- they have been very helpful to me.

If only life was so simple... According to Thule, all their trailer htich will not work with LX 470, 2004. Tire is in the way for the pin to fit and they do not support/recoomand using extenders. I also talked to Lexus, there is no other option so it seems. *sigh*

If only life was so simple... According to Thule, all their trailer htich will not work with LX 470, 2004. Tire is in the way for the pin to fit and they do not support/recoomand using extenders. I also talked to Lexus, there is no other option so it seems. *sigh*

Hello,

If you have the hitch thats integrated in the bumper, then you're going to have to cut the Thule down until it does fit. If its the attatchment type of hitch and its "under" the bumper, then it should fit just fine. The problem is that the hitches integrated into the bumpers are to close to the spare tire causing anything longer than the hitch, to hit the spare. I had this same problem and had to actually cut down the Thule a bit so it wouldnt hit the spare tire anymore. I've had this for several years now with endless amounts of bikes hitched up, and its a 4 bike rack, so it does tend to get heavier than most, and i havent had any problems at all. Good luck!

Hello,

If you have the hitch thats integrated in the bumper, then you're going to have to cut the Thule down until it does fit. If its the attatchment type of hitch and its "under" the bumper, then it should fit just fine. The problem is that the hitches integrated into the bumpers are to close to the spare tire causing anything longer than the hitch, to hit the spare. I had this same problem and had to actually cut down the Thule a bit so it wouldnt hit the spare tire anymore. I've had this for several years now with endless amounts of bikes hitched up, and its a 4 bike rack, so it does tend to get heavier than most, and i havent had any problems at all. Good luck!

EWOK

Yes, it is the stock hitch in the bumper. What did you use to cut the Thule with? Simple hacksaw or grinder of sort?

ALso, do you know what size star wrench I need for the star 4 bolts for the hitch? Thanks.

I don't understand what problem an extender would present as long as the extender didn't hit the spare tire, put the bike rack too far behind your truck or cause the bike rack to wobble around too much. My bike rack didn't fit my first LS when I bought the bike rack back in 1990 but the hitch company where I bought the bike rack had no problem adding an extension to the rack so that it cleared the rear vertical plain of the rear bumper when it was plugged into the receiver. I've never had a problem with it ... I've used it five times in just the last two weeks and hundreds of times over 19 years.

Maybe it would be easier to have a hitch company supply a proper fitting extender or shorten an extender rather than modify your bike rack.

Maybe attaching your Thule bike rack to the extender with a bolt instead of a pin would make the whole assembly more rigid if that is the perceived problem.

I don't understand what problem an extender would present as long as the extender didn't hit the spare tire, put the bike rack too far behind your truck or cause the bike rack to wobble around too much. My bike rack didn't fit my first LS when I bought the bike rack back in 1990 but the hitch company where I bought the bike rack had no problem adding an extension to the rack so that it cleared the rear vertical plain of the rear bumper when it was plugged into the receiver. I've never had a problem with it ... I've used it five times in just the last two weeks and hundreds of times over 19 years.

Maybe it would be easier to have a hitch company supply a proper fitting extender or shorten an extender rather than modify your bike rack.

Maybe attaching your Thule bike rack to the extender with a bolt instead of a pin would make the whole assembly more rigid if that is the perceived problem.

Tire is in the way and you will need to cut any extension or the bike rack. As for extensions, it reduces tongue weight by half and bike will rattle.

I took a look at the rack and by cutting the rack, hole for the pin will be too close to the end of the rack. I fear it might not hold up in the long run. (less than ½ inch)

I have a high price carbon fiber bike I would not want to see her bouncing around on the rack with extension.

Why in the world would Lexus make such a hitch without proper adaptor?

Consider taking your LX and bike rack to a full service hitch shop. I would think there woiuld be a number of shops like that in Northern Virginia -- probably more there than in the Kansas City metro area where we have several. If a good hitch shop can't fix you up with an out of the box solution, they may be able to fabricate a solution.

• 3 months later...

Tire is in the way and you will need to cut any extension or the bike rack. As for extensions, it reduces tongue weight by half and bike will rattle.

I took a look at the rack and by cutting the rack, hole for the pin will be too close to the end of the rack. I fear it might not hold up in the long run. (less than ½ inch)

I have a high price carbon fiber bike I would not want to see her bouncing around on the rack with extension.

Why in the world would Lexus make such a hitch without proper adaptor?

So did you stick with the Thule rack or went with something else? I have an 07 LX470 and is looking for a bike rack that would best fit the trailer hitch without any modifications. I'm also a cyclist from NoVa and woundn't want my bikes to be in any kind of 'danger'. Any suggestions on which bike rack is best?

I had a 99 LX470 which did not come with a tow package. I installed an aftermarket tow package; 2" hitch. Purchased a Yakima Full Swing4 in 2005 which fit perfect. I purchased on sale at REI in Fairfax. VA. Keep an eye out, they often run sales on Thule and Yakima gear.

I now have a 07 LX470 with factory tow package and the Yakima rack fits perfectly as one would expect. I've had 4 bikes on the rack and they were very secure, solid.

Nice thing about this model, is you can swing the rack out (with bikes on) to access/open the rear cargo door.

Yakima has updated the rack and I believe it's now called Swing Daddy.

I had a 99 LX470 which did not come with a tow package. I installed an aftermarket tow package; 2" hitch. Purchased a Yakima Full Swing4 in 2005 which fit perfect. I purchased on sale at REI in Fairfax. VA. Keep an eye out, they often run sales on Thule and Yakima gear.

I now have a 07 LX470 with factory tow package and the Yakima rack fits perfectly as one would expect. I've had 4 bikes on the rack and they were very secure, solid.

Nice thing about this model, is you can swing the rack out (with bikes on) to access/open the rear cargo door.

Yakima has updated the rack and I believe it's now called Swing Daddy.

Thanks prharper, I'll go to REI to check out the Yakimas.