2004 Rx330 Luggage Rack Paint Problem

rfcbuf

The under side of the rear black luggage rack on top of my 2004 RX 330 has spots on driver's and passenger's side where paint is pealing from the black metal rails. With the paint missing the bare metal looks like a white powdery badly pitted aluminum material. Anyone else had a similar problem and can I expect Lexus will cover a paint repair for a 5 yr old vehicle? Can't imagine Lexus quality standard would allow this to happen.

My 11year old RX300 is doing the same thing. Tell me when was the last time you waxed those bars? I believe it peeling would be considered normal under those circumstances.

The under side of the rear black luggage rack on top of my 2004 RX 330 has spots on driver's and passenger's side where paint is pealing from the black metal rails. With the paint missing the bare metal looks like a white powdery badly pitted aluminum material. Anyone else had a similar problem and can I expect Lexus will cover a paint repair for a 5 yr old vehicle? Can't imagine Lexus quality standard would allow this to happen.

I wax the car evey year but have not waxed the luggage rack bars. I still am disappointed that a 5 year old top quality vehicle should have this problem. I don't wax the black wiper arms and they haven't lost their paint so why should the luggage racks?

Wait long enough and your wiper arms will indeed begin to oxidize and lose their paint. Unfavorable atmospheric conditions in your particular area have much to do with your problem (acid rain, pollution, bird droppings, tree sap, etc.), but so does the relentless sun beating down on black-colored surfaces. The sun is always black-painted metal's worst enemy, even on the underside of your roof rack rails. Black absorbs and conducts more heat than any other color. Park in the shade when you can....