My 91 Ls400

What is the single red wire to the +positive post of the battery? It doesn't looked fused at the battery end which means a cable fault (insulation gets cut or pinched and you have a potential dead short to the battery. The wire will light up like a Christmas tree. Might want to put an in-line fuse at battery end and cover bare wire with flexible jacket for added protection.

Beautifully kept car. Looks cleaner than my ’04.

What is the single red wire to the +positive post of the battery? It doesn't looked fused at the battery end which means a cable fault (insulation gets cut or pinched and you have a potential dead short to the battery. The wire will light up like a Christmas tree. Might want to put an in-line fuse at battery end and cover bare wire with flexible jacket for added protection.

I have a battery charger/maintainer connected since every year from Oct-May we are going to Phoenix.

Chris

The red wire snakes around behind that lid.

And She sure is a beaut Sir! ;)

The red wire snakes around behind that lid.

And She sure is a beaut Sir! ;)

I have a battery charger/maintainer connected since every year from Oct-May we are going to Phoenix.

Chris

I would still consider a small inline fuse at the battery terminal end of the red wire. A maintainer or "float charger" will only deliver a small current so a 5 or 10A fuse will not be a problem for the maintainer but will protect you if the wire gets inadvertently shorted to ground. Better to blow a fuse than melt a wire and a potential fire hazard.

It’s just a safety precaution. It’s easy to get fooled that because cars are low voltage (12VDC) they are inherently “safe”. Car batteries store an enormous amount of energy and will melt wires and cause fires quite easily.

I would still consider a small inline fuse at the battery terminal end of the red wire. A maintainer or "float charger" will only deliver a small current so a 5 or 10A fuse will not be a problem for the maintainer but will protect you if the wire gets inadvertently shorted to ground. Better to blow a fuse than melt a wire and a potential fire hazard.

It’s just a safety precaution. It’s easy to get fooled that because cars are low voltage (12VDC) they are inherently “safe”. Car batteries store an enormous amount of energy and will melt wires and cause fires quite easily.

Thank you for your important input. I do have the same set up in Phoenix for my other car.

The problem is I do not know how to do it.

Any DIY suggestions?

Best

Chris

Thank you for your important input. I do have the same set up in Phoenix for my other car.

Any DIY suggestions?

Best

Chris

any auto parts store will have an in-line fuse kit that already includes the fuse. instructions are simple to follow - the crimp kind are the easiest to me.

Any DIY suggestions?

Best

Chris

any auto parts store will have an in-line fuse kit that already includes the fuse. instructions are simple to follow - the crimp kind are the easiest to me.

Thank you

Did you purchase the stickon wood trim kit for that? If so, is that the ebay one? I always thought about it but figured it would cover my stereo scontrol wording so I knew what the buttons did on my radio. It looks awesome and I would love to get that for my 91.

Let me know, thanks.

Did you purchase the stickon wood trim kit for that? If so, is that the ebay one? I always thought about it but figured it would cover my stereo scontrol wording so I knew what the buttons did on my radio. It looks awesome and I would love to get that for my 91.

Let me know, thanks.

Yes this is the stick on wood trim but I didn't buy from eBay. I have done this back in 1999 and I do not remember the company's name. It was advertised in Car&Driver magazine.

Best

Chris

Any DIY suggestions?

Best

Chris

I checked the installed charger/maintainer and it is only 1.5A. I do not think I need an inline fuse.

Thank you anyway.

Best

Chris

post-88814-1242927567_thumb.jpg

I checked the installed charger/maintainer and it is only 1.5A. I do not think I need an inline fuse.

Thank you anyway.

Best

Chris

OK your decision. Most manufactiers recommend a fuse when connecting direct to battery and their harnesses include the protection fuse.

Oh, you're a Snowbird, eh? You must have gotten out of here just in time, we had something like 14 consecutive 100+ degree days.

Very nice car! Am I wrong, though, but is your right front wheel on the wrong side? Those wheels are directional.

Oh, you're a Snowbird, eh? You must have gotten out of here just in time, we had something like 14 consecutive 100+ degree days.

Very nice car! Am I wrong, though, but is your right front wheel on the wrong side? Those wheels are directional.

You got it right. Snowbirds we are. We have a house in the Anthem Country Club-I17 to Flagstaff. It's a Great place.

Very good eye too!!! How can you tell from the picture that my right front wheel in on the wrong side? Can you explain.

Best

Chris

post-88814-1242927567_thumb.jpg

Thank you anyway.

Best

Chris

OK your decision. Most manufactiers recommend a fuse when connecting direct to battery and their harnesses include the protection fuse.

Thanks for the input. I checked the product specs:

Product Description

Features and Benefits

For all vehicles, can be mounted in vehicle

Fully automatic with charging status indicated by LED

Reverse polarity and short circuit protection

12 Volt, 1.5 Amp charge rate

Portable

Is this the same protection like the inline fuse?

Thanks

You LS400 is beautiful!!

I have a '91 also and it is silver with the slightly lower trim package. I noticed yours has the LS400 emblem on the right side. Mine doesn't, and I haven't notice an older one before that had it. Is it aftermarket or was that added with the higher trim package?

You LS400 is beautiful!!

I have a '91 also and it is silver with the slightly lower trim package. I noticed yours has the LS400 emblem on the right side. Mine doesn't, and I haven't notice an older one before that had it. Is it aftermarket or was that added with the higher trim package?

Thank you for your kind words.

I have paid the dealer in 1999 extra to install the gold emblems.

The 91s did come with the silver trim and no LS400 emblem on the right at all.

Best

Chris