Rx330 Wont Start

redpeas

Hi, I parked my SUV (RX330) for the winter. Now I need a boost to start it up. Even though I start it and let it run for over an hour, the minute I turn it off, it cannot be start up on its own without another boost. Do I need a new battery or is it a greater problem?

Thanks,

dt

Sounds like the battery, if the alternator was bad it wouldn't run with the dead battery, but with the bad battery it could still run till you shut it off.

Hi, I parked my SUV (RX330) for the winter. Now I need a boost to start it up. Even though I start it and let it run for over an hour, the minute I turn it off, it cannot be start up on its own without another boost. Do I need a new battery or is it a greater problem?

Thanks,

dt

I agree with the other poster. The battery has sulfated and it's very difficult to break that sulfation. Just buy a new battery, but next time your not gonna drive it for an extended period, you need to make sure the battery is FULLY charged, then disconnect it. Even then, it needs a float charger on it. If it sits outside, you can get an inexpensive solar charger from Harbor Freight for about $20. that will keep it charged. I am retired and don't drive my truck for days or even maybe a week or two at a time and I use one of the solar chargers and it keeps the battery fully charged.

Nothing is harder on an alternator than a bad battery/cables/connections. Don't delay getting a new battery, would be my advice.

Tom

Nothing is indeed harder on the alternator than a completly drained battery... As a tip: if you are starting any vehicle after a looong period of time, you shouldn't just boost... you should charge the battery and then start.