Sunroof Won't Close

I have a 02 GS3 300 Lexus that the sunroof won't close. Have tried everything that I know to do, which is limited. My wife says it has happen before off and on, but eventually she would get it to close. Any thoughts or input would be greatly apprecaited. Also, does anyone know where the sensor is located? Does anyone have any diagrams or specs on it.

Note. I do hear a click in the the overhead console when the sunroof button is push. Probably a relay. Like I said any info or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dan :-)

Note. I just went out and used the key and was able to close the sunroof. Tried before but it wouldn't work until now. What's up with that. I probably will just keep it closed until I can get more input or info. So, anyone knowning about this problem, bring it on and Thanks for any and all info: Dan :-)

almost sounds like a loose wire....maybe a motor going out....? but more likely a loose wire. im not 100% so dont quote me on it....just my first thoughts off the head when you mentioned this

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 02 GS3 300 Lexus that the sunroof won't close. Have tried everything that I know to do, which is limited. My wife says it has happen before off and on, but eventually she would get it to close. Any thoughts or input would be greatly apprecaited. Also, does anyone know where the sensor is located? Does anyone have any diagrams or specs on it.

Note. I do hear a click in the the overhead console when the sunroof button is push. Probably a relay. Like I said any info or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dan :-)

Note. I just went out and used the key and was able to close the sunroof. Tried before but it wouldn't work until now. What's up with that. I probably will just keep it closed until I can get more input or info. So, anyone knowning about this problem, bring it on and Thanks for any and all info: Dan :-)

I too am having this same problem. Any info would help. Thanks!

Since there are a few things that could be behind this, I'd like to suggest a trip to the dealer. With the Lexus scantool, every component of the sunroof can be checked. It should only take a competent technician a matter of minutes to diagnose if it is a switch, module, motor, etc. Unfortunately, these tests are not available to those using generic scantools.

If it is diagnosed that the pulse plate is bad, a position sensor/switch within the motor, you'll be needing a new motor. It's not too hard to replace yourself, if you get a used one, but it does require certain knowledge and procedures to get it synchronized right. A new motor is around $500.00.

There is a TSB on this problem, I advise contacting a dealer and ask if it is covered.

DCFish - Doesn't TSB EL005-99 only apply to MY1998 LS and GS models? Is there a TSB other than that one concerning the sunroof?