Big Exhaust Leak - Over $1000 To Fix!?!?

2003 ES300, recently developed a pretty bad/loud exhaust leak. The leak is after the manifold, in between the manifold and the catalytic converter. It looks like a mesh sort of pipe area, and it is leaking badly. My local repair shop said the dealer wanted about $850 for the part, and they want to charge about 2 hours labor. All this on top of new brake rotors/pads and new tires... I can understand maintenance/wear items (I replaced all myself, was easy), but shouldn't a Lexus be holding up better than this - a $1000 exhaust leak!?

I am a pretty handy person, I have rebuilt engines, made many repairs, etc. I am considering doing this myself, how hard is it? Maybe I can find this part at a junkyard?

Thoughts?

:(

Yes, that looks like it... what about this one? item number 160079992549

Looks like a PITA to replace!

I have a 93, so I don't know what it looks like. Chances are the the mounting hardware is going to be a little rusty, being that that salt the roads in your area. Make sure to spray the bolts down with a good penetrating oil, preferably the night before you start. You could also use a torch to heat up any bolts that are frozen. For frozen nuts, you could use a splitter to remove them. You just need to get the car high enough to work on it.

Make sure you have a good pair of jackstands, and a level paved spot to work. Do not trust the car jack to hold the car up. Car jacks are good for changing tires, or getting the car high enough to place a jackstand under. BUT NEVER GET UNDER A CAR SUPPORTED BY A CAR JACK!