Ls430, Good / Bad Idea

timetotravel

All,

It's time for a new car--not new but you get the point :)

Considering a Lexus 2005 or 2006 LS 430 (maybe other models), but something at least close.

What's the maintenance on these typically like?

What problems are to be expected?

What's the highway MPG like?

What's the real deal on power or decent, lacking?

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Welcome to the forum.

My advice would be to spend time reading past forum threads and doing some test drives of Lexus vehicles.

Look at the Comsumer Reports yearbook for information on repair stats -- the statistics are wonderful compared to everything else.

I'm in my 19th year of driving Lexus LS cars as my primary vehicle after driving "lesser" makes such as Mercedes for many years -- need I say more?

All,

It's time for a new car--not new but you get the point :)

Considering a Lexus 2005 or 2006 LS 430 (maybe other models), but something at least close.

What's the maintenance on these typically like?

What problems are to be expected?

What's the highway MPG like?

What's the real deal on power or decent, lacking?

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Kris,

I bought a 2002 LS 430 (with the Ultra Luxury Package) and I love the car. It is so awesome in many ways. I got a great deal on the car which I bought from a private party, one owner. I can go on and on about this wonderful car. My advice would be to research the car and options available with the LS 430. I searched high and low on the internet comparing and seeing many of them. You will know when you find the one that is meant for you and when you do.....buy IT!

I sold a Chrysler 300C SRT8 and bought an '03 LS430 and was surprised with the power the LS had when I stomped it. It's not a race car but it'll get up and go fast enough to merge onto the highway. Be sure to look around and test drive 5-10 before buying one. Apparently there are deals out there if you are patient. I wasn't and probably could be driving an '05 for what I paid for my '03 without NAV.

Good luck on your search. I was checking Craigslist, Autotrader.com, eBay and Cars.com several times a day. (That was unhealthy, probably better to check once or twice a week)

From what I learned here, be sure to investigate the potential tranny issues on the 04 before buying that year.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2005 LS430 new a few years ago. Have 76k miles on it now. No major problems.

Beautiful riding car if you like a smooth effortless ride. Fantastic for a long highway drive. If you like sporty feel like a BMW this is not the car for you. I had two friends get the same car as me and they have since got ride of theirs since they like the ride of BMWs.

The repairs I have done:

1. The passenger side mirror stopped working in auto hide away mode. Lexus replaced it but did not cover on warranty as they said it was user damaged (clipped side of garage). This wasn't the case but I wasn't going to spend my life arguing it. About $900 repair.

2. Backup camera failed (water leaked in and it corroded electronics. Covered by warranty

3. Rear axle height sensor failed a couple months (out of warranty) ago which made the auto leveling (AFS) system fail and headlights pointed downward. I changed the part myself so saved a few $$. Part was $400 though (for something that should cost $50).

4. On third set of tires.

5. Now on second set of brake pads. Replaced rear brake rotors 2 months ago as they rotted out and warped. I would consider this fairly normal wear for a car of this age/miles.

6. Just had emissions tested by state and passed with no issues.

Dealer oil changes are $79 a trip as they do some "inspections to justify the fee".

That is about it though. So considering what can go wrong these cars are well engineered. Much like the Germans I think Lexus engineers generally over design so while expensive repairs are less common.

Dealer service is expensive when you go but you’ll go less often so I guess it evens out. Parts are more expensive but you also need fewer of them. Offsetting this is that the car is complex with a lot of features so the potential system for failure is higher (than a less featured car).

In comparison I’ve had 3 Ford vehicles going back a few years and two of the three had major engine repairs (just off warranty). One was a head gasket replacement the other was a replaced engine head (blown exhaust valve). Total repairs for these two was $5-6,000 although Ford came back later and comp’d a chunk of one of them.

So I would buy another Lexus. I am not in love with the car like some on this forum but it’s a good car.