2002 Ls 430

Joe F

On two separate occassions, my ls 430 did not start. I connected jumper cables to the battery and it started right up without the my other car even being turned on. I have checked the battery color indicator and it is displaying the color "blue" which means OK. Once the car is driven, I have no problems starting it up. Is my alternator going out? How do I get it checked out? I took the car to get a battery check today but did not go through with it after I noticed the light was still blue. Any suggestions?

On two separate occassions, my ls 430 did not start. I connected jumper cables to the battery and it started right up without the my other car even being turned on. I have checked the battery color indicator and it is displaying the color "blue" which means OK. Once the car is driven, I have no problems starting it up. Is my alternator going out? How do I get it checked out? I took the car to get a battery check today but did not go through with it after I noticed the light was still blue. Any suggestions?

Joe...do not put any confidence in the color indicator. You need to get the battery checked at a dealer or auto store if you can not do it yourself.

It could turn out to be the alternator but chances are it is just the battery, especially if it is more than a few years old. It might also be as simple

as a bad battery cable connection, since you mention that it is fine after being driven. Begin by inspecting and cleaning(if needed) the battery posts and cables.

Joe...do not put any confidence in the color indicator. You need to get the battery checked at a dealer or auto store if you can not do it yourself.

It could turn out to be the alternator but chances are it is just the battery, especially if it is more than a few years old. It might also be as simple

as a bad battery cable connection, since you mention that it is fine after being driven. Begin by inspecting and cleaning(if needed) the battery posts and cables.

Thanks for the feedback. I will get it checked out this week. If its the battery, is there any specific place I should get the new battery from? I read the manual and it obviosly recommends getting the battery charged at a Lexus dealer. I guess my question is do I have to get the same battery or will any replacement battery work without ruining any of the cars components?

I guess my question is do I have to get the same battery or will any replacement battery work without ruining any of the cars components?

No, brand/make of battery does not matter. Just as long as it fits the battery compartment, 12V, has the same posts, cranking capacity is about the same,

you are golden. I got my new battery at Sam's club AND installed for $70. Lexus wanted $120 for a "Lexus" battery and $50 to install. Ripoff.