Must Replace Control Arms If Replace Ball Joints?

Hi All,

This is my first foray into this club. What a great place!

We just bought a 1999 GS300 (61k miles). My local Firestone (who I have brought my cars to for 7 years) says there is play in the ball joints but that he won't replace the ball joints unless I also replace the control arms. He says he has had bad results in the past with doing so and will not do so in the future.

So, I am just checking to see if any of you have any opinion on replacing ball joints without replacing the control arms.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Guy C.

Hi All,

This is my first foray into this club. What a great place!

We just bought a 1999 GS300 (61k miles). My local Firestone (who I have brought my cars to for 7 years) says there is play in the ball joints but that he won't replace the ball joints unless I also replace the control arms. He says he has had bad results in the past with doing so and will not do so in the future.

So, I am just checking to see if any of you have any opinion on replacing ball joints without replacing the control arms.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Guy C.

from what i remember those control arms are over 400 dollars a piece, so he might be trying to get you

You can replace the Lower ball joints without replacing the control arms... unless the control arms are broken.. if the bushings are worn on your control arms you can also get new bushings pressed on... if there is excessive play in the ball joint get it changed asap.. there is nothing fun about losing a wheel while driving... check tie rods too while you're at it.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension...m-problems.html

You can replace the Lower ball joints without replacing the control arms... unless the control arms are broken.. if the bushings are worn on your control arms you can also get new bushings pressed on... if there is excessive play in the ball joint get it changed asap.. there is nothing fun about losing a wheel while driving... check tie rods too while you're at it.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension...m-problems.html

Thank you both!

I just replaced the upper control arm w/ball joint on my 98 GS400. It doesn't come seperatley it is all one part. I purchased it new for $152 shipped on Ebay. The job took me 30 minutes to complete without using power tools. Here is a link to a video of the job (in the video they are installing an adjustable arm, but the job is the same with a normal one.

It depends, as the guys are correct on here. If your mechanic is talking about the lower ball joints, then you're getting hosed and you need a new mechanic, as the attached diagram shows the lower ball joint as #7. I've replaced these myself before on my older LS, it's not hard, and they simply slide into the lower control arm. But, if he's talking about the upper ball joints, then, yes, he's correct, you have to buy the entire control arm assembly, and I am somewhat doubtfull he has ever replaced just the balljoint itself on an upper control arm of a Lexus vehicle "very difficult to do, and parts aren't common to do so". That part is #4 in the diagram. I use parts.com for my stuff, always oem, and they list the upper control arm at $341. The lower ball joint is $55.

I don't know your repair skill level, but neither one of these repairs is all that hard to do. The upper control arm is three bolts, the two to the car, and the balljoint to the hub. The lower ball joint is simply unbolting the steering rod from the ball joint, popping out the old, inserting the new, and reattaching the ball joint to the steering arm. In either case, you will need another alignment done. Usually though, and at your miles, it's normal for the lower balljoint to go bad before the upper. The lower takes the brunt of the pothole hits. There is a reason why Toyota allows you to replace the lower one by itself, and not the upper one. That's because the upper one usually doesn't fail before the lower one "at least two lower ones actually". If you're curious, parts.com has the lower control arm (#5 in the diagram) for $113.

post-15797-1240263787_thumb.png

It depends, as the guys are correct on here. If your mechanic is talking about the lower ball joints, then you're getting hosed and you need a new mechanic, as the attached diagram shows the lower ball joint as #7. I've replaced these myself before on my older LS, it's not hard, and they simply slide into the lower control arm. But, if he's talking about the upper ball joints, then, yes, he's correct, you have to buy the entire control arm assembly, and I am somewhat doubtfull he has ever replaced just the balljoint itself on an upper control arm of a Lexus vehicle "very difficult to do, and parts aren't common to do so". That part is #4 in the diagram. I use parts.com for my stuff, always oem, and they list the upper control arm at $341. The lower ball joint is $55.

I don't know your repair skill level, but neither one of these repairs is all that hard to do. The upper control arm is three bolts, the two to the car, and the balljoint to the hub. The lower ball joint is simply unbolting the steering rod from the ball joint, popping out the old, inserting the new, and reattaching the ball joint to the steering arm. In either case, you will need another alignment done. Usually though, and at your miles, it's normal for the lower balljoint to go bad before the upper. The lower takes the brunt of the pothole hits. There is a reason why Toyota allows you to replace the lower one by itself, and not the upper one. That's because the upper one usually doesn't fail before the lower one "at least two lower ones actually". If you're curious, parts.com has the lower control arm (#5 in the diagram) for $113.

Thanks. It's the lower ball joint. I have no repair skill level. On the other hand, if you want to sue someone, I'm your guy :-).

Thanks. It's the lower ball joint. I have no repair skill level. On the other hand, if you want to sue someone, I'm your guy :-).

awesome...i would like to sue u....now hand over my $$$ and lets all move along quickly...if u dont know why, your a lawyer im sure you can think of something to help me sue you for! :D