Help! Dashlights Stay On With Key Removed

I have a 92 sc400, and when i remove the key the dash stays active and the running lights stay on. This problem has been happening for about a month and has gotten progressively worse. Usually i can restart the car, remove the key a couple of times, etc etc and it will eventually shut down normally. As well even though it will appear shut down when i park the car, sometime over the next few minutes/ hours the dash will spark to life, or flicker as though i just put in the key. I have not been able to lock my car doors as when this happens it will trigger the alarm. Its a crapshoot whether my car will start, as this drains the battery dead when it happens.

On a side note, there appears to be sporadic engine lag when putting the engine under load, like its missing a beat. This doesn't happen all the time, but fairly regularly. The engine idles smoothly and appears to have lots of power under normal driving conditions, but i'm afraid to accelerate with any confidence. Not sure if this is related to the electrical problem or not.

Ignition wires, timing belt, distributer caps, water pump have all been replaced within the last year.

If anyone has any suggestions i would be very grateful.

I have a 92 sc400, and when i remove the key the dash stays active and the running lights stay on. This problem has been happening for about a month and has gotten progressively worse. Usually i can restart the car, remove the key a couple of times, etc etc and it will eventually shut down normally. As well even though it will appear shut down when i park the car, sometime over the next few minutes/ hours the dash will spark to life, or flicker as though i just put in the key. I have not been able to lock my car doors as when this happens it will trigger the alarm. Its a crapshoot whether my car will start, as this drains the battery dead when it happens.

On a side note, there appears to be sporadic engine lag when putting the engine under load, like its missing a beat. This doesn't happen all the time, but fairly regularly. The engine idles smoothly and appears to have lots of power under normal driving conditions, but i'm afraid to accelerate with any confidence. Not sure if this is related to the electrical problem or not.

Ignition wires, timing belt, distributer caps, water pump have all been replaced within the last year.

The symptoms seem to point to the ignition switch itself. Things may have gotten sticky inside and there are sprays such as contact cleaner intended for electronic devices you could try to inject into the key opening to see if the intermittent part goes away. It could also be the switch has internal mechanical damage or wear that the spray would have no effect on. If it turned out to be the ignition switch, that could also possibly be related to the engine miss - but that is speculation. Check the wiring going to the ignition switch for potential loose or shorted wires, and try to clean it the switch with contact cleaner or similar cleaner (CAUTION - some spray contact cleaners may damage plastics and painted surfaces-read the label!) to see if you get any response to your problem.