Check Engine Light/throttle Body

JeffreyV

I wanted to pass along a little info... My check engine light was on and would go off after I drove about 20 minutes. It would stay off, but come back on after about two or three of those short 2 or 3 mile errand runs. I had my mechanic check and he said it was showing lean mixture on the left bank, but he said that he could find nothing wrong. I lived with the light coming on and going off for almost a year. Then I decided to clean the throttle body... that was four weeks ago. The check engine light has not been on since. :)

Before TB cleaning. I had very little power at any less than 1/4 throttle (once I was past that I was fine). I pulled off my TB (broke on of the hoses) and saw enough carbon to make the worlds largest diamond, twice lol :D . My friend and I spent an hour just cleaning out the TB and what we could get at the intake manifold. It took a screw drive and a whole can of TB cleaner just for the one Butterfly valve, and another half can in the Intake manifold. I have pics on my phone of before and afters I will upload as soon as I get the memory card thingee. I do have a question about the TB gasket. Mine was crumbling and fell apart upon removal, and I needed my car and couldn't wait two days for one to be ordered. So I used RTV silicone gasket maker stuff and seams to be fine at low throttle, but a WOT I can hear an air vaccum sound that I have never heard before. Could this just mean I missed a spot with the silicone? I didn't want any to go into my intake manifold so I didn't use a huge bead. BTW My throttle response is much better, and she has more power then she had when I bought her.

Before TB cleaning. I had very little power at any less than 1/4 throttle (once I was past that I was fine). I pulled off my TB (broke on of the hoses) and saw enough carbon to make the worlds largest diamond, twice lol :D . My friend and I spent an hour just cleaning out the TB and what we could get at the intake manifold. It took a screw drive and a whole can of TB cleaner just for the one Butterfly valve, and another half can in the Intake manifold. I have pics on my phone of before and afters I will upload as soon as I get the memory card thingee. I do have a question about the TB gasket. Mine was crumbling and fell apart upon removal, and I needed my car and couldn't wait two days for one to be ordered. So I used RTV silicone gasket maker stuff and seams to be fine at low throttle, but a WOT I can hear an air vaccum sound that I have never heard before. Could this just mean I missed a spot with the silicone? I didn't want any to go into my intake manifold so I didn't use a huge bead. BTW My throttle response is much better, and she has more power then she had when I bought her.

Use the regular OEM gasket. Last time I needed one, Superior Lexus had it in stock and I didn't have to wait for it to be ordered. The cost is around $5.00. For that price, it is much easier than using the gasket maker stuff anyway.