What Kind Of Transmission Service I Should Do?

Running Ox

I recently purchased a 2004 RX330 with 65k miles on it. Since I have no idea with when the previous owner did transmission service, I decide to do it before the powertrain warranty expired. Right now 68xxx miles on it. So the work need to be done as soon as possible. The current color of transmission fluid is light red with normal smell. I am very concerned with what kind of transmission service I should go(Drain and refill or complete fluid replacement?). Sometimes the transmission service will make it go bad. My transmission is in a good condition now, I don't want to mess it up. So any suggetion for me is greatly appreciated.

You don't have much to worry about... you can even go with a flush and fill... I believe you should only use toyota brand ATF-IV fluid though. This stuff isn't expensive and you can pick it up at any toyota or lexus dealer. If there is a serviceable filter you may as well drop the pan, clean the magnets, and change the filter while you're at it. If you're doing multiple drain and fills you can drain ( i think it may be about 2 quarts) refill, drive around a little and repeat... this process is not too efficient but it is the least invasive...

If I remember right it is about 4 Qts. You could drop the pan but if your fluid doesn't look or smell burnt I would just drain and refill, drive a thousand miles than do it again.

Jeff

Yep, do a drain-and-fill. Stick with Toyota Type T-IV ATF to protect your rights in the event of a failure down the road. You'll need at least 4 quarts, but some vehicles will be a little thirstier and will want 4.5. So buy 5 quarts at your nearest Toyota parts department. Repeat every 30,000 miles. Drive it like a station wagon, not an Indy car, and you should be fine....

So you think only one time drain and fill every 30,000 miles is enough. filter and gasket is not necessary?

Yep, do a drain-and-fill. Stick with Toyota Type T-IV ATF to protect your rights in the event of a failure down the road. You'll need at least 4 quarts, but some vehicles will be a little thirstier and will want 4.5. So buy 5 quarts at your nearest Toyota parts department. Repeat every 30,000 miles. Drive it like a station wagon, not an Indy car, and you should be fine....

For me I would do the drain and refill twice since you don't have the service records and your mileage is not that high but is getting up there. Then every 30K miles unless you notice something odd when driving.

Jeff