Es300 Transmission Fluid

Hi everyone,

I own lexus es300 98 model(car purchased in Canada). Now I live in virginia.

It has 86000 km mileage - around 60000 miles.

I got the 60k service done Aug 2007 at lexus dealer, Rockville, MD, and he claims all the fluids were changed.

Recently, I got my car checked at Merchant's during oil change and I was told the transmission fluid

is very dark and needs to be changed. I have driven only 10k since the fluids changed in 2007.

I checked with dealer who has done my 60k service and he said they don't help.

Service manager at dealership also said, black color of the fluid doesn't matter, you go only by mileage i.e.

change fluid per every 30k.

I want to check with the forum, wouldn't there be any warranty for 60k mile service. I paid $600.

Do I need to change the fluids again. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to LOC!

The service manager is correct.....the colour of the fluid is not all that vital....as long as the fluids have been changed on schedule with the proper fluid. If there has been a missed interval of the tranny fluid....it won't hurt to have a drain & fill done again.....which is not that expensive.

:cheers:

Have you seen the fluid. Is it dark red or black. Tranny fluid is usually a deep cherry red color, somewhat sweet smelling and should be very viscous and smooth. Also keep in mind that the fluid color may vary depending on manufacturer and type. If it was done by the dealership then I would assume they used Toyota T-IV which is a nice deep red color. Look on your invoice and see if it is listed as to what they used for fluid. Also see what was done for the fluid change. If it was a total flush then all the fluid was replaced with new. If they did a simple drain and fill, then only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the existing fluid is drained out and then that volume is replaced with new. This means that 3/4 to 2/3 of the old fluid remains. This fluid may be darker than new fluid just do to age and use. 3 quarts of new fluid is not going to bring 11 quarts of old fluid back to a fresh red color. Do you follow me so far? Most dealerships just do the drain and fill method for tranny fluid unless a specific power flush is requested. If a powerflush or total replacement was done then you would have been billed for 12 to 14 quarts of tranny fluid. Check your invoice and see how many quarts of tranny fluid you paid for.

If the fluid is gritty, has a burnt smell to it and dark black then I would worry. You can easily tell by pulling out the tranny dipstick and check these.

Don't pull out the oil dipstick and check that by mistake.

Unfortuneately there is no warranty on services in the sense you are talking about. Most dealerships will warranty parts and any mishaps that occur during the maintenance but usually not fluids themselves. If the car is burning tranny fluid in 10k miles then something is wrong, but you should have some other signs as well. You may have a loud or grinding tranny, you may smell a burning odor, you may experience less smooth shifting and maybe even some gear slippage. You could have all of this and still not have any trouble codes.

What does the car "feel" like to you, does it shift smooth between gears and not slip?

I hope this helps.

steviej

If it's REALLY dark, i.e. it's clearly abnormally dark, then suspect that the radiator is leaking fluids between the radiator and the transmission. I had that happen in a 1996 Camry V6. The trans fluid kept turning almost black, and the coolant would also change a really dark color. I finally figured it out, and replaced the radiator.

If it's REALLY dark, i.e. it's clearly abnormally dark, then suspect that the radiator is leaking fluids between the radiator and the transmission. I had that happen in a 1996 Camry V6. The trans fluid kept turning almost black, and the coolant would also change a really dark color. I finally figured it out, and replaced the radiator.

how much transmission fluid does a 1996 ES300 hold?

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't know, I just figure it holds about 3 quarts in the pan and 4 in the rest of the system. It's important not to overfill the system. I drain the pan and observe how much comes out. I try to change the trans fluid in the pan this way when I change the motor oil. It usually keeps the trans fluid in new condition.

• 8 months later...

9 quarts total flush.

...If it was done by the dealership then I would assume they used Toyota T-IV which is a nice deep red color....

The '98 model should use Dextron III.

I was just told to NOT USE Dextron. Use Toyota or there is a Valvoline older modle replacement oil. The diff? Beats me but I go with what the pros say. To expensive a trany for an oil screw up. Cheack around first.

there seems to be some confusions as to which ATF to use. Here is a general break down. Check the ATF dipstick, and it will specify which one to use.

1. Dex III/IV is for the non-electronic transmission, sort of the pre-99 ES300

2. Type T-IV is for the electronic transmission, 99 ES300 w/VVTi engines or later models

3. If you are confused or uncertain which ATF to use, use Amsoil ATF. It's a synthetic ATF and compatible w/numerous ATF systems. Good for 50K miles. I actually go even longer than 50K on Amsoil ATF because I drive 95% freeway.

By the way, I find it very odd that coolant mixes w/ATF. Typically ATF passes thru the cooling hoses surrounding the radiator and returns into the transmission. Unless you have a crack radiator and crack ATF cooling hoses right at the same contacting point, I find it hard to see how ATF mixes w/coolant. For argument sake, the car might have a front accident impact at that point.

A quality oil with high detergents will become dirty quicker than a cheaper made oil. When oil is working properly, it will clean as well as lubricate. If your oil stays clear and clean, either your transmission/engine is extremely clean or the oil is not doing its job. Someone mentioned Amsoil earlier, I am an Amsoil dealer and would not run anything other than Amsoil.

Your dealer may have used a high quality oil and it is working properly. Hopefully, that is all it is and not a radiator issue as mentioned earlier.

• 1 month later...

Hello

May I ask a few quick questions .........................?

Do you RECOMMEND total flush ever or just do drain-&-refill (recommended earlier when I posed question about ATF) with T-IV or Amsoil @ every 30K or 50K and do not worry about total flush at all?. The reason I am asking because I have NOT done neither since I bought my 2002 ES 300 in 2001 and the last time ATF was inspected(yesterday), I was told it is GOOD. If you RECOMMEND total flush, will you use chemical such as BG ?

I know, there are MANY ways of changing ATF and NOT quite sure which one to use?

Thanks a LOT.

there seems to be some confusions as to which ATF to use. Here is a general break down. Check the ATF dipstick, and it will specify which one to use.

1. Dex III/IV is for the non-electronic transmission, sort of the pre-99 ES300

2. Type T-IV is for the electronic transmission, 99 ES300 w/VVTi engines or later models

3. If you are confused or uncertain which ATF to use, use Amsoil ATF. It's a synthetic ATF and compatible w/numerous ATF systems. Good for 50K miles. I actually go even longer than 50K on Amsoil ATF because I drive 95% freeway.

By the way, I find it very odd that coolant mixes w/ATF. Typically ATF passes thru the cooling hoses surrounding the radiator and returns into the transmission. Unless you have a crack radiator and crack ATF cooling hoses right at the same contacting point, I find it hard to see how ATF mixes w/coolant. For argument sake, the car might have a front accident impact at that point.

Hello

Do you RECOMMEND total flush ever or just do drain-&-refill (recommended earlier when I posed question about ATF) with T-IV or Amsoil @ every 30K or 50K and do not worry about total flush at all?. The reason I am asking because I have NOT done neither since I bought my 2002 ES 300 in 2001 and the last time ATF was inspected(yesterday), I was told it is GOOD. If you RECOMMEND total flush, will you use chemical such as BG ?

I know, there are MANY ways of changing ATF and NOT quite sure which one to use?

Thanks a LOT.

Not sure what you mean about there are MANY ways of changing ATF...? :blink: I only know of two....a 'drain & fill' or a total flush which is not recommended due to possible damage which could result from the high pressure of the machines that are used.

As mentioned in previous threads, I do regular 'drain & fills' every two years or 30k miles (some here do them even more frequently).

If you have never done any tranny service, I would highly suggest you do....that fluid has been in there for 8+ years now & I would do several drain & fills over the next month or so...not a total flush.

Hello LexusFreak,

You recommended "drain & refill" to my previous query and I clearly acknowledged that by writing "recommended earlier when I posed question about ATF".

This question was directed to homemechanic. I ,sincerely thought, the question will be directed to him when I replied to his answer :huh: . I, should have mentined his name at the top. Any way, my mistake.

Again ..................thanks for the input.

Vic

Hello

Thanks a LOT.

Not sure what you mean about there are MANY ways of changing ATF...? :blink: I only know of two....a 'drain & fill' or a total flush which is not recommended due to possible damage which could result from the high pressure of the machines that are used.

As mentioned in previous threads, I do regular 'drain & fills' every two years or 30k miles (some here do them even more frequently).

If you have never done any tranny service, I would highly suggest you do....that fluid has been in there for 8+ years now & I would do several drain & fills over the next month or so...not a total flush.