11k Mile Lexus Water Pump Went Out - Knocking !

90LS400Lexus

UPDATE for future reference - as someone mentioned, it was indeed the fan bracket bearing. I had it replaced ($155 parts / $120 labor) and its fine now.

I meant to put in the title it has 11K miles in the supposedly new pump - not 17K.

Thanks for all of the replies. ;)

Turns out that it is indeed the fan bracket bearing like Python said. I have heard from some that its fairly simple, HOWEVER, some have said its a time comsuming and difficult process and it practically takes it down to the timing belt once everything is removed to replace it.

Dealer wants $258 for the part and $160 labor. I found a part online for $165 and I called an independent shop (a mechanic I normally use on my other cars) and awaiting a call to see how much they will charge for labor. Either way, it looks like its going to set me back quite a bit and again, I will have to let something else go that this car really needs, but as it is not, its not driveable.

Oh well.

**Advice? For those of you due for a new timing belt/water pump, I recommend that you replace this as well, because it seems like its a part that is common to go bad on these cars. **Unless its one of those it only happens to me deals, but I have read several posts about this failing on other LS400s. :rolleyes:

I called one mechanic I sometimes use (changed the rear shocks on my last LS400) and he said that it does not even show it (fan bracket mount/bearing) listed in his book for the labor price for this part only. He said its probably an hour job, but he kept insisting that this is probably the same setup as the 3.0L V6 as the Camry/ES300. I kept telling him this was the bigger Lexus with the 4.0L V8 and that it was rear wheel drive. He then suggested that I call a junk yard and see if they had it listed in a book.

Ironically, down the road from that shop is someone with a 93 or 94 LS400 that sets in the carport... I was going to tell him to stop there and look at it and see what I was talking about. ;) Then today I drove by there and there was a man there in a 1990-92 LS400 and that mechanic was getting ready to look under the hood. I was going to stop and tell him that was the car I had, but a very severe thunderstorm was approaching and I had to get home to batton down some hatches.

I guess I will order the part and have the car towed either over there, or somewhere to get it replaced. Cannot really seem to get a consistant answer of what all is needed to change this part only. Some say its easy, while others say you practically have to take it down to the timing belt. :rolleyes: - actually I should say one says this and another says that... I am really not getting much info from anyone on this.... I guess its a very rare problem and no one knows exactly on what all is involved in replacing this part only.

• 3 weeks later...

To update this post for future reference, it was NOT the water pump, but it was indeed the fan bracket bearing. I ordered a new one for $155, labor $125 and I am back on the road. It is a PITN to get to and I recommend anyone doing the 2nd timing belt change around 170K-220K to also change this part out as well... unless you can find someone to do cheap labor, because it almost takes it down all the way to the water pump / timing belt if you have to ever get it changed. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the replies/advice.