Sound Issues And Service Warnings

BBates25

Hey guys,

I searched through about 20 pages and the most I could find was about the ML edition of the sound for the ES. I really am disappointed with my ES as far as sound is considered, its an 09 non UL with the Lexus Premium audio, I have Navi with parking sensors, I guess every option in the Non UL model. I went from a 530xi to the ES because I felt i was a good deal, especially considering options compared to BMW. Basically I have two questions;

1) I noticed that the dealer told me to take it in for the 1000 mile service, but the car did not notify me, is this setting automatic, because in the service menu in the navi it doesnt say anything. I'm well over the 1000 miles so are they going to cover me on this personalization still and Should this have been programmed in prior to me picking up the car? right now its just empty dates.

2) Is there any options for the sound, or aftermarket subwoofer, because the bass is absolutely horrendous. It sounds worse than a base altima that my cousin has.

Thanks alot guys

Brandon

I'll take care of No. 1. The programming that happens at the 1K mile mark, is a modification of the standard settings your car originally came with. They're called personalized settings by Lexus. You should have received a flyer with the manuals and paperwork you got with your ES. This flyer lists the settings that can be changed, and your options for these changes. You check off various boxes in the flyer. You give that to the service advisor on your visit. This should have been explained to you when you picked up the vehicle.

Concerning No. 2, I really have no idea. My wife has the Lexus Premium Audio system in her ES, and she likes it very much, however she is no audiophile. I have the ML system in my ISF, and have no complaints. Are there any audio stores in your town where you can go for advice? You might also call Crutchfield to see if they can help you.

Lou

Thats why they have audio options...

Personally I would have spent time with both the non-UL and UL car to decide if I wanted to upgrade. Thats what I did when I bought my car years ago...

The 1,000 mile maintenance is a customer service stop, they'll wash and vacuum the car and make sure you have no issues, they also will do any LPS setting changes you may want done.

The car will display the "Maint Reqd" light every 5,000 miles, and will display service reminders as you set through the nav system. It won't remind you about the 1k.

Personally I would have spent time with both the non-UL and UL car to decide if I wanted to upgrade. Thats what I did when I bought my car years ago...

Huh, there are no stand-alone audio options for the ES. In Canada you have to fork out $11,500 for the UL package to get the ML system. I figure a good self-amplified subwoofer should cost much less than $500. Doh!

I have the base ES and yes, the bass is crap and that's my only complaint about the car. I looked for Lexus OEM subwoofers on eBay and haven't seen any. If someone knows where I can get one please chime in.

It seems are neighbors to the north are really restricted when it comes to options. I went to the Canadian Lexus site to see what the OP was talking about, and yep, in Canada you can only get the ML on a 4th level up package identified as UL. Again, any audio stores in your area? Can Crutchfield help you?

Lou

The 1,000 mile maintenance is a customer service stop, they'll wash and vacuum the car and make sure you have no issues, they also will do any LPS setting changes you may want done.

The car will display the "Maint Reqd" light every 5,000 miles, and will display service reminders as you set through the nav system. It won't remind you about the 1k.

Im buying a car worth 40k, with navigation and "Lexus Premium" sound, I shouldn't have to concern myself with that as a priority. It wasn't like I bought the base ES I have everything but that was offered at the dealer with my car without the Pano Sunroof (Great option, but not on my list needs). When i went to shop for the car i wanted to make sure it was a good ride, had adequate space and was reliable. Upon doing research I determined that this was a great car, the audio system is not something that I was thinking about at all, in fact with most base luxury cars you still get better sounding radios than what the ES has. I am just shocked at the sound quality of the bass produced by a 2009 luxury car, and if there were replacements after market or factory, NOT that I made a mistake about purchasing a car without the additional options. I appreciate everyones input, and thanks for the replies, and SW03ES, judging by some of my research on both this forum and other forums its not just myself that feels this way... just out of curiosity though at the 1k customer service appointment will they set the options in the NAVI menu to tell me when brakes, oil, filters etc will need maintenance?

It seems are neighbors to the north are really restricted when it comes to options. I went to the Canadian Lexus site to see what the OP was talking about, and yep, in Canada you can only get the ML on a 4th level up package identified as UL. Again, any audio stores in your area? Can Crutchfield help you?

Lou

I don't want an aftermarket unit because it would take up trunk space. I figure the OEM subwoofer fits under the rear seat but it's not available as a stand-alone unit, I'm guessing because it hooks into an amplifier (also located under the rear seat?).

Im buying a car worth 40k, with navigation and "Lexus Premium" sound, I shouldn't have to concern myself with that as a priority. It wasn't like I bought the base ES I have everything but that was offered at the dealer with my car without the Pano Sunroof (Great option, but not on my list needs). When i went to shop for the car i wanted to make sure it was a good ride, had adequate space and was reliable. Upon doing research I determined that this was a great car, the audio system is not something that I was thinking about at all, in fact with most base luxury cars you still get better sounding radios than what the ES has. I am just shocked at the sound quality of the bass produced by a 2009 luxury car, and if there were replacements after market or factory, NOT that I made a mistake about purchasing a car without the additional options. I appreciate everyones input, and thanks for the replies, and SW03ES, judging by some of my research on both this forum and other forums its not just myself that feels this way...

Just because its a $40,000 car you shouldn't try it out to see what you think of all the features? The "Lexus Premium" sound is the base sound, to me it sounds like the base sound in most every other car I've driven which is why if there is a sound upgrade then I always get it. Since I care about sound...I check out the sound.

Unfortunately the panoramic sunroof is a feature of the Ultra Luxury package which includes the Mark Levinson audio. Its only about $2k more, and you get upgraded wheels, upgraded leather, more seat adjustments, the panoramic roof and the ML audio. I'd buy it just for the audio, its a great package.

It seems to me that you should have done a little more research into the available packages and what comes with them. I don't have an issue with you not likng the standard audio, like I said I always buy upgrade audio when I buy cars, what I have an isue with is you complaining that the base audio is not the best stereo you've ever had. Yes its a luxury car, but you get a whole lot with the ES for the money, they have to cut costs somewhere. Thats why there is an audio upgrade available. Your 530i was $15,000 more expensive than the ES...I'd hope it would have a better stereo. Its not "shocking"...its the base stereo in a car whose target buyer is 65+...why would they care about BASS?

Anyways its not a big deal, I'd take the car to a good high end audio shop and tell them what you're looking for and get suggestions. They'll be able to replace the stock sub under the parcel shelf in the rear (its not under the seat)

just out of curiosity though at the 1k customer service appointment will they set the options in the NAVI menu to tell me when brakes, oil, filters etc will need maintenance?

Ypu can do it yourself, just go to the "INFO" menu and there will be a button for maintenance reminders. Just set a reminder for service every 5,000 miles. The dealer will know what the car needs, and the maintenance schedule has what is required at each stop. You can set it to tell you what the service is, but you will have to go in and program and type in what the services entail yourself.

It doesn't have the whole service schedule in the system like the BMW does, Lexus doesn't do that.

Hey Brandon..... sorry but gotta agree with SW here. I agree with your point for 40K etc should not be an issue but let the buyer beware! I trust no one but my own when buying car or other things, certainly never a car salesman

Music always important to me from replacing a junk stock stereo in my Lincoln capri uhhh 20 plus years ago ;_) with an alpine and some fancy speakers etc.. (ok so i am a little deaf now!) I always got upgrades stereos in cars. My last Maxima had a good Bose in it, I went with the ultra pack with the ML stereo. Almost every review on the web tells of how the ES 350 base stereo was an issue.... the ML is very good.

But look at the bright side, the ul with nav etc is more expensive so u could go to a stereo car store and get them to replace the stereo speakers etc at a cost less than the ul with ml upgrade would have cost.....

Welcome to the Leus family. my first i have had it for 8 mos and love love love it--no issues nada one for me (knock on wood) .. would love to hear your thoughts on the other differences good and bad with the BMW(think u said u owned this previous?)

cheers

Thanks guys for all the replies... SW i wasnt trying to argue not at all, or complain, I guess it was mere disappointment on my side with not looking into this prior. And dont get me wrong at all NOONE should make audio the reason NOT to buy a car. Infact even knowing this I would have still made the purchase, but with the ML package LOL.

As far as the maintenance I see the info, and I didnt know it was manually entered, that was the answer to my question.

Do you guys suggest any settings I should do?.. I think the 60 second delay might be one along with lighter setting for auto lights.

RJT,

As far as a comparison, its really hard to compare the two. I did drive the GS a day after I received the ES because of a crack in the windshield. I would say that the GS and the 5 series are definitely more competitors. The reason is because the ES is more of a laid back ride, you dont hear a thing, you dont feel a thing. The 5 series was a beautiful car, and driving was great you felt like the road was yours, and you wanted to drive fast. It was also expensive though, I think if I had to spend that money again I would definitely go with the GS only because fact that I now see the difference in features and service. Lexus is truly working hard to make sure that they exceed BMW and Benz, and I have to say I am very impressed. LOL I finally have a 6 disc cd changer, and my BMW was an 07' 530xi, but CD changer = extra option along with ALOT of standard features on Lexus. Ill definitely let you know 2 Years from now when the lease is up how I feel and hopefully it will be the same.

Thanks

Brandon

Yah Brandon we all would agree -- the es is a comfort ride not sporty like the bmw's or other sport ride cars... My maxima was the SE and i could take turns at 80 etc...

Funny thing when i took a 'quik turn' on a semi loop entrance to a parkway shortly after buying the ES, I i learned the ES will brake by itself .hahaha

So was wondering on other things, interior comforts, reliability etc.... so keep us abreast and again congrats...ps are you going to take it to an audio place for a radio upgrade let us know how u do thank-ya and cheers!

Thanks guys for all the replies... SW i wasnt trying to argue not at all, or complain, I guess it was mere disappointment on my side with not looking into this prior. And dont get me wrong at all NOONE should make audio the reason NOT to buy a car. Infact even knowing this I would have still made the purchase, but with the ML package LOL.

As far as the maintenance I see the info, and I didnt know it was manually entered, that was the answer to my question.

Do you guys suggest any settings I should do?.. I think the 60 second delay might be one along with lighter setting for auto lights.

RJT,

As far as a comparison, its really hard to compare the two. I did drive the GS a day after I received the ES because of a crack in the windshield. I would say that the GS and the 5 series are definitely more competitors. The reason is because the ES is more of a laid back ride, you dont hear a thing, you dont feel a thing. The 5 series was a beautiful car, and driving was great you felt like the road was yours, and you wanted to drive fast. It was also expensive though, I think if I had to spend that money again I would definitely go with the GS only because fact that I now see the difference in features and service. Lexus is truly working hard to make sure that they exceed BMW and Benz, and I have to say I am very impressed. LOL I finally have a 6 disc cd changer, and my BMW was an 07' 530xi, but CD changer = extra option along with ALOT of standard features on Lexus. Ill definitely let you know 2 Years from now when the lease is up how I feel and hopefully it will be the same.

Thanks

Brandon

If you like bass you actually might not have been impressed by the ML system either. It focuses on clarity and its not really a bassy system. My previous car had a bassy JBL audio system and adjusting to the ML took a little time.

Personally I don't think these newer Mark Levinson systems are as good as the Nakamichi systems in the older cars.

Personally I don't think these newer Mark Levinson systems are as good as the Nakamichi systems in the older cars.

+1. Neither do I. I had a 93 SC300 5MT with the Nak system. I replaced the 10" woofer and all the amplifiers. I left the head unit, the trunk mounted changer and all the other speakers alone. I had an amazing sound system in that car. Far superior to the ML system in my F.

Lou

Im buying a car worth 40k, with navigation and "Lexus Premium" sound, I shouldn't have to concern myself with that as a priority. It wasn't like I bought the base ES I have everything but that was offered at the dealer with my car without the Pano Sunroof (Great option, but not on my list needs). When i went to shop for the car i wanted to make sure it was a good ride, had adequate space and was reliable. Upon doing research I determined that this was a great car, the audio system is not something that I was thinking about at all, in fact with most base luxury cars you still get better sounding radios than what the ES has. I am just shocked at the sound quality of the bass produced by a 2009 luxury car, and if there were replacements after market or factory, NOT that I made a mistake about purchasing a car without the additional options. I appreciate everyones input, and thanks for the replies, and SW03ES, judging by some of my research on both this forum and other forums its not just myself that feels this way... just out of curiosity though at the 1k customer service appointment will they set the options in the NAVI menu to tell me when brakes, oil, filters etc will need maintenance?

I agree with you Brandon 110%. I have an '08 with the premium sound. I've owned several Honda's and other less expensive cars with standard audio systems and this is by far the most disappointing sounding audio system I have experienced since the mid 80's! I agree also that in a 40+K car more was expected of the audio system. I still keep checking the audio menu in hopes that there is a "magic" button that I have overlooked to give me decent bass. lol But the rest of the car is wonderful!!

I agree with you Brandon 110%. I have an '08 with the premium sound. I've owned several Honda's and other less expensive cars with standard audio systems and this is by far the most disappointing sounding audio system I have experienced since the mid 80's! I agree also that in a 40+K car more was expected of the audio system. I still keep checking the audio menu in hopes that there is a "magic" button that I have overlooked to give me decent bass. lol But the rest of the car is wonderful!!

Yeah the Audio is a disappointment, but once again I didnt buy the car because of that. I have noticed that with ASL off it seems to sound more bassy LOL I know that makes no sense because that has to do with the noise inside the car, but give it a shot. I went to an audio shop and basically they are just talking about adding a subwoofer in addition to the one that is there... I really dont want my trunk rattling like an old school Civic.

Yah Brandon we all would agree -- the es is a comfort ride not sporty like the bmw's or other sport ride cars... My maxima was the SE and i could take turns at 80 etc...

Funny thing when i took a 'quik turn' on a semi loop entrance to a parkway shortly after buying the ES, I i learned the ES will brake by itself .hahaha

So was wondering on other things, interior comforts, reliability etc.... so keep us abreast and again congrats...ps are you going to take it to an audio place for a radio upgrade let us know how u do thank-ya and cheers!

RJT,

Thanks

Brandon

RJT,

The car is built beautiful on the inside. First thing I noticed was the interior sound quality, it is far beyond BMW, I didnt even know I started the car, I thought it was off when I drove it off the lot. I did feel that the BMW did seem to be more sturdy with the interior build, but it was also more dull. After having the ES for almost a month and a half now, I can say that I definitely prefer the interior to the Lexus hands down. Lexus knows where to add accents and how to make it comfortable. Every person that rode in the 5 series that sits into my ES always says how much more comfortable the seats are. Reliability I will definitely get back to you about, it seems that even looking at my friends 07 ES that it holds up well. And for some reason every person including myself, seems to love the leather accent added to the interior of the door where you pull on to close the door LOL. But I will definitely keep you up to date, with more and more impressions of the car.

quote]

Yeah the Audio is a disappointment, but once again I didnt buy the car because of that. I have noticed that with ASL off it seems to sound more bassy LOL I know that makes no sense because that has to do with the noise inside the car, but give it a shot. I went to an audio shop and basically they are just talking about adding a subwoofer in addition to the one that is there... I really dont want my trunk rattling like an old school Civic.

I will try ASL in the "off" mode. Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

+1. Neither do I. I had a 93 SC300 5MT with the Nak system. I replaced the 10" woofer and all the amplifiers. I left the head unit, the trunk mounted changer and all the other speakers alone. I had an amazing sound system in that car. Far superior to the ML system in my F.

Lou

I recently went from a 98' es to an 02' with the ML and I thought the 98 system sounded better than my current 02'. I recently blew the sub and replaced it with an aftermarket one. I figured if I replaced it with a ML sub then it would blow again. It sounds alot better but the sub rattles a bit. Does anyone know what I can do to stop the rattling?

• 2 months later...

I agree the sound system is pretty average for a luxury car. i would expect the base system should sound decent if not 300 w or 400 w of power. Clarity in the music is totally lacking. Sometimes I feel the old Mazda 626 2000 that i have is better sounding than this Lexus ES 08.

A simple base bose system would have sounded better and cars like Mazda and Nissan offer Bose or even a Boston offered by some cars sound better.