Clunking Noise In Trunk

austin h

Over any slightly rough road or small bumps at any speed I hear clunking which appears to be from the right rear trunk area. I took everything out of the trunk (spare tire, access panels, etc) and looked for the source of the noise. I drove with everything out and the sound is still there. I got under the car and moved the exhaust up and down listening for contact (none). I suppose it could be suspension/bushing related but it just sounds like something loose.

The last time I had it in for service I asked the mechanic about it but he said he couldn't hear anything. I would accept that I'm hearing things except my wife hears it too!

Any ideas?

Austin

'93 SC 300, 84K miles

... I suppose it could be suspension/bushing related but it just sounds like something loose.

Any ideas?

Austin

'93 SC 300, 84K miles

Yea, it is a upper or lower bushing or ball joint or combination of them.

check your struts! this happened to me with my front right tire, everytime i hit a bump my wheel slammed into my wheel well cover thingy. its suspension for sure if you took everything out. have you pushed each corner of the car to make sure you suspension is still tight?

Just tried the "push test" on all 4 corners. Everything still feels very tight but I am getting a small squeeking noise from the rears. No clunking noise but I will have the mechanic check it out more thoroughly on the lift.

Thanks for the advice!

Your stabilizer bar links could be worn/loose/missing. The link nuts should be tightened to 47 ft-lbs. Here's a picture of the rear sway bar links.

Sway bar links

There's a procedure for testing the links with a torque wrench. If you have a manual you can find the procedure in the rear suspension section. If you don't have a manual I can post the procedure for you.

:)

:lol: come one AJ you getting forgetful :lol: yea i had the same problem with a nissan though i changed the struts and well the noise was greately reduced to almost nothing. but if you hit a bump just right you still hear it so its probably a combination.

Thanks for all the replies ... I will put it up on jackstands and poke around to see if anything appears loose. I do have a torque wrench and lots of experience with rebuilding LBC's (little british cars). At least this isn't something electronic! :wacko:

Austin

• 4 weeks later...