Rear Pass. Door

BigBuggie

Hey guys.

I left work last night to find out someone took a big bite out of my rear passemger door.

They got me good. Luckily the majority of the damage was contained on just that door.

What do you think is my best bet? My deductible is too high to go thru insurance.

I'm thinking just grab a new door at the scrap yard?

What do you guys think?

The damage did not affect the operation of the door in any way except aesthetically.

Pete

How high is your deductible? Isn't this kind of incident covered under uninsured motorist coverage (which is usually covered under liability coverage)? I can't imagine your deductible being higher than the cost of repair.

Any photos? Best of luck!

Deductible is one thing. Ask you insurer what their policy is for this type of claim. Does your premium go up? Also check with a body shop for an est. Since there's no photos, it's hard for us to advise whether it would be cheaper to repair or replace. Here's one link for used parts:

http://www.usedpartslive.com/live/1/year/LEXUS/LS400//

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

How high is your deductible? Isn't this kind of incident covered under uninsured motorist coverage (which is usually covered under liability coverage)? I can't imagine your deductible being higher than the cost of repair.

Any photos? Best of luck!

Many uninsured motorist coverages, especially the ones that come with liability-only policies, only cover bodily injury and do not cover property damage.

A lot of people like to have a high deductible for collision coverage and self-insure for any damage costing less....my insurance company allows up to a $2000 deductible. Unless there is damage beyond the door itself, I doubt this repair will cost more than that.

Some careful shopping at local junkyards might net you a door in the right color for very cheap. $1500 seems like too much to me!! I've bought complete doors for less than $200 in good shape for luxury cars. You can also sell the regulator, window glass, and other stuff off your old door later to get some money back. (Assuming those parts are good on the replacement door!)

See if you have a pick-a-part or pull-a-part type yard in town, give 'em a call, and see if they have any LS400s in your year range. Also check car-part.com which is a junkyard search engine. (NOTE: only some yards are indexed here!) Worst case, getting just the door repainted shouldn't cost too much if you can't match the color.

Good luck.