Help

cclinda

Hoping someone can help me with this puzzle. My 1999 RX300 has a brand new battery yet it keeps dying if I don't drive it every couple of days. I had the alternator checked and it was fine (in fact the mechanic is puzzled on what could be draining the battery!) When I am driving the car, all of the lights pulse - both inside and outside. Any suggustions on what to check? Is there a voltage regulator somewhere?

Hoping someone can help me with this puzzle. My 1999 RX300 has a brand new battery yet it keeps dying if I don't drive it every couple of days. I had the alternator checked and it was fine (in fact the mechanic is puzzled on what could be draining the battery!) When I am driving the car, all of the lights pulse - both inside and outside. Any suggustions on what to check? Is there a voltage regulator somewhere?

Flickering and pulsing lights have been discussed before and I am not sure there was ever any resolution to the problem. It seems like a common problem on the RX. You can search this forum for "flicker" and see what others have said in the past. Here is also a discussion from another forum:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx300-foru...00-problem.html

Light flicker may be a little subjective and tough to pin down but your battery dying every couple of days isn't. My first thought would be do you have any wiring changes or aftermarket accessories (alarm?) that may be causing the drain? Are you sure it's not your brand new battery? The RX does have some minimal current draw when off and your battery may not be up to it. New batteries cause strange problems even though they load test fine. Do you have another car you could swap batteries with for a test? Did the mechanic check the current draw on the battery when the car is off to see if anything was abnormal there?

I'm interested in this one myself as my '00 does the same thing. There is a constant 2 amp draw. Not driven for 2 days and the car will not start. Checked battery wiht hydrometer and pulled fuses/relays one at a time looking at the charger for change and found none. Only ones not pulled were for alternator and starter. These are big fuses and was impossible to pull with pliers I was using. Will try these next chance I get.

Thanks

• 9 months later...
I'm intersted also, my lights flicker constantly but my battery doesn't die. Looks like know one has found the solution to this prob...

BB- I would suggest you might try an active Toyota site or two also because I'm assuming they probably also have the same problem because they also use a Denso alternator.

I'm intersted also, my lights flicker constantly but my battery doesn't die. Looks like know one has found the solution to this prob...

BB- I would suggest you might try an active Toyota site or two also because I'm assuming they probably also have the same problem because they also use a Denso alternator.

Thanks, will do! Any suggestions for good sites?

Thanks, will do! Any suggestions for good sites?

Sorry BB, even though my wife drives a Toyota, in the 7 years since we bought it we haven't had 1 minutes trouble with it, hence the reason I don't frequent the Toyota sites. That's the longest we've ever kept a car and since we both love the car, it will probably grace the garage for a while longer. In beautiful shape yet. I would suggest just Googling "Toyota forums".