Whats This And Why Does It Have A Fan In It?

lx470

There is a fairly sizeable black box under the Drivers side front wing in front of the tire. After some mild low range off road work of about 30 mins in temp of 95F I could hear a fan whirring inside the box.

Anyone know whats in there, apart from the fan:-)

It's a 2003 LX470

Its nothing to do with that. Is'nt it fluid anyway, not air.

I should have mentioned that the ignition was off and the key removed. I have never heard the fan before, or since which is why I mentioned the conditions.

Guess when I clean the layers of mud off I can try and trace the cables to something that makes sense.

I don't think it has anything to do with the suspension. I have a 98LX470 and and 99 Land Cruiser and they both have the box. It looks to me like it's simply a shield for the washer fluid resevoir. Could the running fan have been your normal cooling system fans?

Been a bit busy with the Bushfires so have not had a chance to look. No, not the normal cooling system. Took me about 3 minutes to trace the noise to the box after crawling all over the engine under the hood. The fan is quiet, never heard it before or since. As it is also on a seperate circuit to the ignition then the cooling is heat sensitive.

• 6 months later...