Gas Smell, Check Engine And Maf?

akewlguy

For no reason at all I am getting a random Check Engine light every two to three weeks. After running like a champ at all speeds I get almost a stall then check engine light cuts in and out (Almost feels like it will stall). Then stays on... There is then a smell of gas and 70% less power. Basically to get up a hill from a stop I would drop to first gear and then go.

I have brought it to my mechanic and he could not find a code. Then started car up next day and car was fine. I just passed emissions, which will not pass if there is a code in the system. It of course did pass.

Today the check engine light poped up and I am debating bringing to LEXUS or Toyota, since Lexus is 50 miles from home.

One mechanic said it sounds like the MAF sensor. The Lexus has 138,000 and is a 93. By far the best car I have ever owned. Any guidance or links are greatly appreciated. I did attempt to look up MAF sensor, but it says that is text that can be researched or something like that...

First time for everything...

Today the car will not start. Almost as if the car is not getting gas... Almost starts and sounds like it is going to, but no luck... Although the check engine light came on 3 times over the past 3 months it always started...

search is picky about three letter words. try looking up red hot cats. LMAO. but if you do use a three letter word just add a "+". it sounds like you might have red hot cats also with this problem. happened to me recently. dist cap and rotor were full of trans fluid form radiator leaking and being sprayed all over the engine by the fan. i would suggest you check the ignition coil on the drivers side and make sure the wire is secure. next check the dist and rotors. may just need to be changed. when mine was full of oil and grease i was running on 4 cyl. could barely go 55 or up hills. had to floor it and got NO POWER AT ALL. also had a hard time cold starting, needed to be jumped, but after one touch of the cables it fired right up.

good to see you back Kewlguy but hate to see you here with problems. get that Lexus fixed!!!! ;)

• 4 months later...

It was the computer. Some guy down south programed the system. Now the LS is back to normal, but still has some minor issues with the looks... If anyone knows where to get a drivers front trim molding please let me know. These skum bags took that and smashed my rear tail light.

scumbags? who was that, the dude that programmed your computer? I go out to the local junkyard once in awhile. I f I see anything I'll let you know but I almost never see any Lexus in there. There is another junkyard called Oceana Salvage (in VaBeach) that had an 93 LS about 8 mos ago. They have pretty slow turnover there as it is an old style junkyard so it may still be there. Hey kewl, do tell more about the tail light incident

Well... My LS was down for about two months. The mechanic was trying to buy a used computer, then ebay and then he took it out of garage. Of course once in a million he has two cars get broken into that night. They used a crow bar on my trunk to get to radio and amp. Only problem is everything was stock so they got nothing inside the car. They took my front clear light and left front molding. The worse part was the damage to one rear clear light, lock and trunk. We pulled out the trunk, painted it, replaced second in from right rear light with old style and new lock. The lock does not work with key, but ohh well.. In the end I suspect we will work out a deal with mechanic. I am more happy that my car is running great then the broken pieces, but it does suck. Did see the complete clear rear for 400 bucks, but I am not sure about them. Overall the car is still awesome! Everyone thinks it is a 2002 or newer and I am rolling in the bucks. Sorta funny when I pay 50 a year in taxes.

scumbags? who was that, the dude that programmed your computer? I go out to the local junkyard once in awhile. I f I see anything I'll let you know but I almost never see any Lexus in there. There is another junkyard called Oceana Salvage (in VaBeach) that had an 93 LS about 8 mos ago. They have pretty slow turnover there as it is an old style junkyard so it may still be there. Hey kewl, do tell more about the tail light incident