Trunk Lid

panchohondo

My '02 SC430 truck lid will not stay open. It appears the "struts", or whatever they are called, do not have enough force (or whatever) to keep it up. Is there an adjustment or corrective action I can make to correct this problem? I'm 50 miles from a dealer and will get it fixed, but don't want to make the trip if not really needed.

The trunk struts are charged with very high pressure nitrogen. After a few years they loose some charge and will no longer hold the lid up, especially in cold wether. There is no adjustment, only replacement. I ordered a set from ebay a couple of years ago for a fraction of the dealer price and they are still working fine. Takes about 5 minutes to install them, if you have ANY mechanical skills.

My '02 SC430 truck lid will not stay open. It appears the "struts", or whatever they are called, do not have enough force (or whatever) to keep it up. Is there an adjustment or corrective action I can make to correct this problem? I'm 50 miles from a dealer and will get it fixed, but don't want to make the trip if not really needed.

Thank you for the info, it was very helpfull..........

Wow, I thought I did it the lazy way. I bought them on line for $55-received them 2 days later and 10 minutes later my trunk stayed up by itself. But I did need to get a screwdriver out of my toolbox and popped off the retaining ring and put the new ones on. I thought it would take more energy to drive to the dealer and then wait for the repair. Silly me (LoL)

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, I thought I did it the lazy way. I bought them on line for $55-received them 2 days later and 10 minutes later my trunk stayed up by itself. But I did need to get a screwdriver out of my toolbox and popped off the retaining ring and put the new ones on. I thought it would take more energy to drive to the dealer and then wait for the repair. Silly me (LoL)

Was wondering if you could provide info as to where you bought the trunk struts online and are they called trunk struts? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Was wondering if you could provide info as to where you bought the trunk struts online and are they called trunk struts? Thanks for any help you can provide!

I know on another post someone got them on e-bay for like $60 each and yes I think they are called trunk struts.

Nice to see another Lil Rhodey SC 430 owner online. What color and year ya got?

Like Soleman, I bought a set on eBay for $55 last week and it took less than 10 minutes to install them on my 02 SC430. Yes, I did it myself and my wife claims I'm not "handy"...... Good Luck!

I also replaced my trunk struts last week. Bought them on ebay for about $55 and my hubby changed them out in about 10 minutes. I would definitely recommend having another person there to help hold up the trunk while you're replacing them.