Tire Warranty

Last October I was traveling in Pennsylvania and suddenly my tire pressure monitoring system light came on. I took my car to a nearby Lexus Dealership for an inspection. They told me that my front left tire had a whole and need to be replaced. My car is a IS250AWD with only 4000 miles on it. I asked if was covered by lexus warranty and told that Lexus does not cover so called road hazards for tires. Bottom line it cost me USD420 to replace it. Once back home in Toronto, Canada I checked on the Lexus Canada website and noticed that road hazards for tire are indeed convered by the lexus warranty. I went to my local Lexus dealer (KenShaw lexus) and they applied to Lexus Canada for a refund on my behalf. Today I received a cheque for CAD399 in the mail. Considering the exchange rate fluctuation, I almost got a full refund for what I paid in USA.

Anybody can explain to me why Lexus has a different warranty for tires in Canada and in the USA?

I just have a few questions. Why did you go to a dealer when your Tire Pressure Light came on? I would've checked the tire pressure first. Also, $420 for one tire sounds like a complete rip off. The stock Bridgestone tire is $244 on Tire Rack and with service it should not be any higher than $300 and that's already overpriced. I never heard of any car company insuring their tires for road hazard, so I can't help you with that.

I just have a few questions. Why did you go to a dealer when your Tire Pressure Light came on? I would've checked the tire pressure first. Also, $420 for one tire sounds like a complete rip off. The stock Bridgestone tire is $244 on Tire Rack and with service it should not be any higher than $300 and that's already overpriced. I never heard of any car company insuring their tires for road hazard, so I can't help you with that.

As I said I was on the road in Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia and was supposed to go back to Toronto the day after, a 600 miles trip on highways. The tire pressure light came on the day before and I checked the pressure and was a bit low. I put some aire but the next morning again the light came on. I went to a Midas store first, they checked and said everything was ok but few miles later the light went on again, that why I decided to visit a lexus dealership since my car was under warranty. The dealership was Lexus of Chester Springs,PA. The invoice was for a total of USD342.33 equal to CAD420.

If you visit Lexus Canada website you will see that indeed they are covering tire road hazard.

• 2 weeks later...
It's been pretty standard for every car I've bought new.

It may be in Canada but apparently it is not in the USA as far as lexus is concerned

No car manufacturer in the US warrants OEM tires - they all explicitly refer to the tire manufacturers warranty and have done so for at least 30years.

I had a flat tire this week - with less than 1,000 miles on the car/tire - there was a screw in the treads nowhere near the sidewall. The car was going into Lexus for the 1 month look-see, so I asked them to fix it. They said it couldn't be repaired and wanted about $300 installed. The answer was "no" to questions about repairing the tire and road hazard type of coverage, so I told them to leave the screw in the car and give it back.

I went down the road to the Discount Tire dealer I usually deal with. They looked at it and said definitely it can be repaired, pulled it in, patched the tire from the inside, rebalanced the wheel, and sent me on my way - for free! So far the tire seems fine.

My dealer likes to replace things instead of even trying to repair, I hated the idea of buying a new tire when I just bought a car with new tires on it. Glad I went to a tire store for a second opinion before spending that money!