Timing Belt

2bears

My wife's 2000 Rx 300 is up for the first timing belt change and I was told to replace the idler and water pump at the same time. Is that necessary or just a waste of money?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Fred

Fred, You'll get plenty of opinions (like something else, everybody has one). My opinion is that to replace the idler and water pump is an ABSOLUTE waste of money. To even replace the timing belt at 90k is a waste of money. All of those parts will likely go TWICE that far without any failure because they are some of the highest quality parts I have ever seen. I would be interested to know how many have had any of those parts fail even if they have gone twice the recommended miles. I'll bet extremely few. That's only one mans opinion (but one man who has spent his life in automotive). It's your money, spend it any way you wish. Good Luck!

My wife's 2000 Rx 300 is up for the first timing belt change and I was told to replace the idler and water pump at the same time. Is that necessary or just a waste of money?

Fred

Fred, You'll get plenty of opinions (like something else, everybody has one). My opinion is that to replace the idler and water pump is an ABSOLUTE waste of money. To even replace the timing belt at 90k is a waste of money. All of those parts will likely go TWICE that far without any failure because they are some of the highest quality parts I have ever seen. I would be interested to know how many have had any of those parts fail even if they have gone twice the recommended miles. I'll bet extremely few. That's only one mans opinion (but one man who has spent his life in automotive). It's your money, spend it any way you wish. Good Luck!

yes, you will get different opinons. My wife has a 2001 RX300 and I had the timing belt replaced @ 95K. I allowed the shop to do the water pump and idler as it didn't add a whole more lot to the total bill which was about $6-700 at a private shop. The theory, as you likely know, is your there anyway so why not replace them? Was it money well spent? Beats me, you would kick yourself if one or the other fails relatively soon and you're paying that labor again. I don't spend a lot of time here, primarily when something is wrong and I want to research it, but you don't seem to read alot about failed water pumps.

Fred

Toyota did my timing belt @ 90k for $325. I didn't change the wp or idler at their recomendation. Toyota tech thought it was a waste of money changing parts that don't fail on that engine. I plan on just doing the belt again at 180K.

I wouldn't even consider changing the timing belt until 150,000 miles. The 1999 and 2000 RX300 models have numerous design flaws but the timing belt is not one of them. Those belts are overengineered and well-constructed. Let it run, keep your oil and filter changed, don't abuse the vehicle, and your timing belt will last for a long, long time....

Its suggested at the 90k Mile mark. But thats a good question on how long it can actually go before it snaps (God Forbid it snaps!!) But its more for piece of mind and it is necessary at some point. Im gonna get mine done and it has 95k miles on it, But i'd rather be safe than sorry! Its really up to it is your vehicle, But it is a gamble on how long it can go without replacing it. And the cost to replace the timing belt and water pump is pennies compared to bending valves and having to rebuild the motor!! But to answer your question on the water pump.....If your gonna replace the timing belt do the water pump at the same time! Unless you want to pay twice for the labor of removing and replacing the timimg belt twice to get the water pump in. Its sort of like replacing the worn brake rotors but keeping the worned pads on their....Doesnt make much sense!!

I had mine done at 100k and the belt looked like new, could still read the writing on it. I also had the water pump done and must say the pump bearing is quite robust. If the fluid is kept clean and fresh I suspect it would make the 190k mark. If the antifreeze is original, no.... Also a side note changed the plugs at 125k and they looked great. If you have them done stay with the original equipment iridium plugs, they are worth there cost which has gone way down, probably around $8-10 per plug. There are some other idlers in the timing belt area, I will tell you about their condition when I reach 190k miles.