Security System Details

nyuhsuk

I really haven't tested this extensively but I noticed that the security surrounding the keyless FOB/Push Start may have a gap.

(1) When I start the car, I can leave the car but I noticed that locking the doors is not available by key fob nor the door handle method (I have not tested whether manually locking the door via the physical swivel or inside door lock switch - I am assuming both will work but I have not had another body present to sit inside FOB-less to let me in in case the doors do not unlock with fob/touch-sensor).

(2) Once leaving the car, I noticed that anyone can jump in, shift to drive, and take off. Yes the car beeps holy hell that no fob is present but it does not prevent someone from jumping in and driving off.

Am I missing something here or does everyone's ES (or any Push Start car [my fiancée's 2008 G37 does the same #2 thing as mine]) function this way?

Thanks! :unsure:

Not too concerned myself.

#1 is to prevent you from locking yourself out of the car with the keys in it... I like this... I always try to keep my key si n pockets but have at times left them in the cupholdet than get out and the dang noises start than i realise i am leaving my keys in the car!

#2 - the car (my understanding I am sure someone will give u the 100% detail soon here) will operate for 20-30?? seconds than stop... so if someone drove away the car would die on them, without the key FOB.

As with all cars take proper precautions leaving or entering the vehicle and you should be fine

cheers!

#1 is a big sales feature, you cannot lock the keys in your car or trunk.

#2 - Someone can drive away in your car if you leave it running without the FOB, but, once they turn the car off, they cannot re-start it. So, say you drive your car with your significant other somewhere to drop you off. You get out and take the keys with you and your significant other goes away to get gas. They turn the car off, now they are stuck at the gas station. So, heed the warning. When you hear the beep, take the keys out of your pocket or whatever, and hand them the key. A thief can only go as far as there is gas or turn the car off.

If you leave your car running, even with FOBless cars (with keys), people can drive away. Don't leave the car running and without posession of the key or FOB.

yeah AZ, I never followed through when I realized the fact that the car is still drivable without the key once started... sort of defeats the purpose of keeping the FOB in the car and shows that the car doesn't really have a 'kill' switch per se in case someone does get in your car after the engine is started. The fact is all they have to do is drive it somewhere, strip it of our goodies, and leave the remainder behind. Sigh... really makes a Viper or the Crimestopper system that UID lexus tech is advertising really sound appealing... the system he's advocating kills the engine if the brakes are depressed for gear shift if the fob isn't present.

w00t~ need 30k service... $500 at Lexus or Steve's recommended mech... decisions...

That Crimestopper sounds appealing...

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm contemplating the trip to North Jersey... but I need to see if $450 is a fair price for such an augmentation... especially since I didn't want to mess too much with the internals on my baby...

• 3 weeks later...
That Crimestopper sounds appealing...

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm contemplating the trip to North Jersey... but I need to see if $450 is a fair price for such an augmentation... especially since I didn't want to mess too much with the internals on my baby...

That's actually a good point, I noticed all of those things regarding leaving the keys in the car and what not. I've never been too worried being that I live in an on campus apt at college, but really the only time I let it run is if I make a quick dash inside the room to get something, otherwise I keep the car off when I'm away from it lol!