16" V 18" Oem Wheel Change?

95dfwls400

All, I have an opportunity to replace my factory 16 inch wheels on my 95 LS for a set of 18 inch off an RX. Will those wheels fit my car with no modifications? I don't want to alter the ride too much, so how much difference will be in 18" tires with the ratio of /45 or /50???

Thanks for the help.

I don't know if they will fit, but they will certainly have an adverse effect on the car's ride. If you want to keep your LS400's smooth ride, stick with 16" wheels.

I have 18" after market wheels on my 97 LS 400 with 235-50-18 tires, it looks good but rides rough I can feel every small bumps on the road. Should you decided with after market wheels due to the large front calipers is a challenge to find the t wheels to fit and is expensive.

i read that car wheels should be used on cars and truck wheels should be used on trucks. something about the construction method and planned tire. i also read that fwd wheels should be used on fwd and rwd on rwd. dont know if this is all true but if you look at lexus wheels on ebay and they have a fitment chart normally there is all cars. but that is ebay...

I don't know if they will fit, but they will certainly have an adverse effect on the car's ride. If you want to keep your LS400's smooth ride, stick with 16" wheels.

really, ,then why did Lexus offer the later LS430's with 18s standard? it's not wheel size as much as it is tire size and quality.

i read that car wheels should be used on cars and truck wheels should be used on trucks. something about the construction method and planned tire. i also read that fwd wheels should be used on fwd and rwd on rwd. dont know if this is all true but if you look at lexus wheels on ebay and they have a fitment chart normally there is all cars. but that is ebay...

none of that is true for WHEELS, tires yes, but not wheels. the reason they say use FWD on fwd and rwd on rwd is because of the differences in offsets, which is severely outdated since most common lexus wheels have rather high offsets (>+40) which is normally common on old FWD cars.

OP-the RX 18"s will NOT fit on your car as they will not even come close to clearing the big brakes present on the 95+ LS400. a better alternative would be the 06+ GS350/430/460 18" wheels or LS430 18"s as they will clear no problem.

really, ,then why did Lexus offer the later LS430's with 18s standard? it's not wheel size as much as it is tire size and quality.

The original poster does not drive an LS 430. His LS 400 came with 16" wheels...what it's suspension was designed for.

If the suspension of the LS 400 could handle bigger wheels without an adverse effect on ride quality, I'm sure they would have been offered.

The LS 430 is not the same car.

The original poster does not drive an LS 430. His LS 400 came with 16" wheels...what it's suspension was designed for.

If the suspension of the LS 400 could handle bigger wheels without an adverse effect on ride quality, I'm sure they would have been offered.

The LS 430 is not the same car.

actually, if you'll note, there is no significant difference int he geometry nor construction of the 2LS vs. LS430 suspension. the reason Lexus didn't offer 18"s at that time was because in the 90's wheels >17" were still mostly reserved for high end sports cars and the like. the GS even only got 17s because the production/tire cost was high and required too much retooling.