Trunk Release

fblonk

Hi!

I have a weird problem with my wife's 98 LS. I changed the battery in the remote and it works fine to unlock-lock the car, but the trunk button has become intermittant. Here is the weird part, my key for her car has also become intermittant for the trunk release. I didn't change my battery. I changed both remote batteries last year and no problem. Is there a way to check this? My remote works and then not, hers almost never works. The remote works for everything else with no problem. I figure it is the release solenoid, but not sure. Any suggestions would be great!

Help!

Thanks,

Fblonk

I had the same problem with my '99 LS, but it was the unlock button that worked only when it wanted to. I just bought a new remote key, and it cured the problem. I tried removing the dust and lent from the circuit board in the key and new batteries to no avail. I just chalked it up to old age and tossed the bad key in a drawer for a spare. If you decide to buy a new key, I have the transponder and remote programming instructions if you need them (and a discount code for Sewell).

My trunk remote is a pain too. I recently changed the battery and that helped with the distance.

But the real problem is that the key fob design for some reason, makes it difficult for me

to reliably press and hold down the trunk release button. You have to press and hold the button

for a few seconds and when I am in a hurry, I dont always manage to do that. I have to use my thumb nail

to get it depressed all the way.

Next time you press the trunk button, look at the little LED indicator on the fob. Make sure that you

see that blinking then keep the button held until the trunk releases. If the indicator is flashing but the trunk fails to release,

then there are other problems. But I am betting its a press and hold issue. Its aggravating, thats for sure.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

The red lite works on both remotes and the trunk opens occasionally with both. Kind of weird. Sometimes it works other times no. I only changed the battery on one remote, but both stopped working. Here is another tidbit, I recently sprayed silicone in the latch assembly of the trunk to lube it up (once a year I do this) and it seemed to start then. The battery change was done on my wifes remote at the same time, but my remote stopped working as well. I don't think it is the remote because both stopped working. Any suggestions with the actuator? there is no click and it doesn't matter how long I hold the button. Then other times it is fine.

Help!

Thanks,

Fblonk