Starter Click, Drag

fblonk

Hi,

I have searched the forum for an answer and I am not sure what to do.

I have a 98 LS. The starter clicks and sometimes drags. I am open to rebuilding the starter, but I don't want to remove it (with all that work), rebuild it and find it is just a bad starter. I have read about the solenoid contacts wearing and I am sure I can get them. I purchased a bosch (??) starter and all gaskets to do the job, but now I am thinking that a rebuild is the way to go. The only thing making me hesitate is the dragging when it starts.

The clicking has been happening for about a month, but the car always starts. I have replaced the battery and the alternator (it died thanks to a leaky ps vacuum valve, also replaced). There is no corrosion on the battery and both the battery and alternator are fine, I have had both checked since replacing them.

The dragging has happened 2 times. It cranks like a low battery and then starts. I start this car about 20 times a day (it is my work "truck"). and it is very intermittant. Usually only in the morning it will click, but then starts, but it has happened during the day.

Is the dragging part of the problem with worn contacts in the solenoid? I would rather keep my genuine Lexus starter and rebuild it if it will solve my problem. I can have the starter tested after I rebuild it at Autozone, but since this is an intermittant problem it may not rear its ugly head when tested.

I am wondering if it is worth replacing the starter and the job is done, or rebuilding the old one and hoping that the click-drag will be gone. Do the worn contacts cause a drag and not just a click?

Thanks,

Fblonk.

Fblonk(is it Frank?). First off, stay the heck away from Autozone. In most cases they dont have a clue as to

what they are doing with a starter.

I am trying to understand what you mean by "dragging". You say it "cranks like a low battery". That to me means a high

resistance connection in the solenoid contacts which, as the contacts heat up, lowers and then works correctly. And yes, poor

contacts can cause this "drag" or sluggish behaviour. I have even had starters which did NOT shut off when I removed the key

from the ignition(not from a Lexus, though). The contacts welded together and the return spring was not strong enough to pull them apart.

That can also happen with worn contacts.

Given that the starter sometimes just "clicks" (once for each key turn, I presume?), you do have starter contacts that are bad.

I would do as python suggests and get a Denso rebuilt. The Lexus dealer has "new" starters available for around $260. They, however, are not

brand spanking new (as pointed out by SRK) but rather rebuilt and should serve a good long while. A good rebuild shop will replace the contacts,

brushes, check the bearings, commutator, etc. In other words, it gets a more thorough check-out than what a weekend mechanic is likely to do.

You might even find a local shop to rebuild your original unit.

To answer your last question, worn contacts are the cause of BOTH your drag and click. If this is your "work truck", you need to get this starter

issue fixed pronto. You are on borrowed time (starter-wise, of course :) )

Hi,

I love this forum!

I appreciate the replies. I do all my own work, and I am not afraid of much when it comes to auto repairs. I have decided to order the rebuild kit for the starter and replace the contacts (and possibly Plunger). I am going to retain the new starter for now. I will rebuild and test the factory starter and if it passes, I will reinstall it. If it fails I will install the new one.

I have researched this starter problem and have found that the common cause is the contacts in the solenoid wear and are relatively easy to replace. I have more faith in the nippondenso part, so I am going to try rebuild first.

I only use auto zone for oils and cleaners, NOT parts for my Lex!

Thanks for all your support!

Fblonk (not Frank!)

Nippondenso starters are really good. Mine went for 130,000 miles before it die. And my starter also clicked for about a week before it went out. After that And I replaced it with a brand new nippondenso starter and had no problems. I have 136,000 miles on my 96' LS400 now. And never buy anything but oil or filters from Auto zone because they get a lot of returned items that are bad. And sell the same thing to the next guy. I went through that with them when I had my Cadillac.

Hi,

I love this forum!

I appreciate the replies. I do all my own work, and I am not afraid of much when it comes to auto repairs. I have decided to order the rebuild kit for the starter and replace the contacts (and possibly Plunger). I am going to retain the new starter for now. I will rebuild and test the factory starter and if it passes, I will reinstall it. If it fails I will install the new one.

I have researched this starter problem and have found that the common cause is the contacts in the solenoid wear and are relatively easy to replace. I have more faith in the nippondenso part, so I am going to try rebuild first.

I only use auto zone for oils and cleaners, NOT parts for my Lex!

Thanks for all your support!

Fblonk (not Frank!)

Glad to hear you are a true-blue DIY'er Fblonk (not Frank..sorry) :D

I would suggest that you use only Toyota parts in the rebuild if you can get them.

You might check with the Toyota dealer or with a Toyota lift truck shop as they use some common starter parts.

The following site was recently brought to our attention and is a great part number lookup tool.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1998_LEXU...EAGKA_1904.html

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Here is an update:

I ran out of time to do it myself so I have a friend who does excellent work and owns a shop in Clearwater.

I purchased the rebuild kit for my starter and had it rebuilt. The contacts were worn to nothing. The car should not have been starting. Only 96K, but I do multiple stops and drive around 100 miles/day.

While it was in the shop, I had the motor mounts and the transmission mount replaced. Both were in need of replacement.

Everything is fine now and smoother than ever. I love my Lex!

Thanks Everyone

Fblonk